Thread: Aerial Reconnaissance

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    Additionally, an interesting intro to what should be a great story. We flew in and out of FOB Warhorse all the time, though Baqubah had settled down considerably by the time I got there. (We used to take BG Nixon, the ADC-O for 25th ID to Warhorse all the time. It was worth it for the DFAC)

That's one thing ground troops love about the UH-60. The OH-58, AH-64 and UAVs have sophisticated cameras, but NOTHING equals letting leaders see the terrain with their own two eyes out the large cargo doors of a UH-60, particularly when you go "doors-open" in the summertime.
    Thanks Starbuck.

I guess that I should expand on your comments. Riding in the Pave Lowe and Chinook was similar to riding in the back of a Bradley. You might as well close your eyes until the ride is over. I'm assuming the Osprey is the same.

If I were king for a day, doors open and seats out would be the norm. Particularly if we're talking reconnaissance. On a similar note, as you question what the pilots should do on your blog, it's simple. Do the reverse of us and get on the ground and see what's going on.

Doors open? You bet. Seats out? That one takes a 2-star's approval for each flight (as per AR 95-1...although we can debate specifics and exceptions). Long story short, seats out is a huge safety hazard, especially in a crash sequence.

Well, that's the short version. There are risk mitigation measures (restraints), but I can kind of see the Army's reluctance to allow seats-out on a regular basis.

Doors open? You bet. Seats out? That one takes a 2-star's approval for each flight (as per AR 95-1...although we can debate specifics and exceptions). Long story short, seats out is a huge safety hazard, especially in a crash sequence.

Well, that's the short version. There are risk mitigation measures (restraints), but I can kind of see the Army's reluctance to allow seats-out on a regular basis.
    Seats Out- I should have expanded on when it is appropriate. I've done several. A lot of it depends on the mission. Yes to deep infil and air assaults. Keep the seats in for the other joy rides (recon, transport, etc).

But, when you're carrying a big pack, the seats out is preferred and the boys can hook in the same way the flight crews can. IMO, this decision is not a 2 stars. It is up to what the head pilot and the ground commander are comfortable with. Yes, I know I'm living in a pipe dream.

Default Yes, yes, yes and yes.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    But, when you're carrying a big pack, the seats out is preferred and the boys can hook in the same way the flight crews can. IMO, this decision is not a 2 stars. It is up to what the head pilot and the ground commander are comfortable with. Yes, I know I'm living in a pipe dream.
    Sigh. Plus, in Veet Nam, only the Colonels rode with seat in. Candy, candy...

Default Planning Considerations for the Aerial Reconnaissance

I'll try to expand this thread past my own little war story. Please continue to add anything that I'm missing or dispute anything that I got wrong.

Here's some planning considerations for Aerial Reconnaissance.

1. Rehearsals. Prior to the aircrafts arrival, chalk leaders should have boys rehearse enter/exit of the aircraft. If possible, ground commander should not be a chalk leader. In my example, I was the ground commander and my 1SGT was the chalk leader responsible to get everyone in and out of the aircraft. We rehearsed approach, order of march, entering the aircraft, seating arrangement, and exit PRIOR to the the aviators arrival.

2. Actions on Contact. For the most part, that is up to the flight crew. No ground guy should be shooting while the aircraft is in flight; however, if the bird goes down, you have to have a go to hell plan. It should be understood between the air and ground guys that once the bird touches the ground, the ground commander is in charge. If the bird is shot down, immediate actions are security of site, accountability of personnel, communications with higher headquarters to coordinate evac and extraction, and if necessary, recovery or destruction of sensitive equipment.

3. CCIR. What is the purpose of the reconnaissance? What are you looking for? If you noticed, in my story, I specifically stated we pulled out maps not Garmins and GPS. What do you want your boys to see?
    Last edited by MikeF; 05-10-2010 at 02:32 AM.

I will agree--for an air assault, this is key. A unit can really make some good money by practicing entering and exiting a parked aircraft a few times before the mission. Entering a helicopter in a hurry, throwing in the bag and buckling the seat belts isn't like hopping in your minivan for a road trip. You have got to get used to the motions.

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post

1. Rehearsals. Prior to the aircrafts arrival, chalk leaders should have boys rehearse enter/exit of the aircraft. If possible, ground commander should not be a chalk leader. In my example, I was the ground commander and my 1SGT was the chalk leader responsible to get everyone in and out of the aircraft. We rehearsed approach, order of march, entering the aircraft, seating arrangement, and exit PRIOR to the the aviators arrival.
    I will agree--for an air assault, this is key. A unit can really make some good money by practicing entering and exiting a parked aircraft a few times before the mission. Entering a helicopter in a hurry, throwing in the bag and buckling the seat belts isn't like hopping in your minivan for a road trip. You have got to get used to the motions.
    I concur, and the simplest possible drill should be used. My Bn lost a guy walking into the disk of a Scout, partly because this hadn't been addressed - and some very bad luck- be safe, simple and quick trumps sexy and slick.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition