Thread: Courageous Restraint "Hold fire, earn a medal"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger94 View Post
    Let me use this analogy, while in a combat zone, as an NCO, I tell a PFC that he has to man a Browning .50cal.

We all know this is not a new weapon system. It has been in the US Army inventory for almost 90yrs. But to the new PFC it is a new weapon.

If, as an NCO, I toss the FM at the PFC and say "learn it, oh and tell me what you learned" then the PFC deserves a reward.

There is a major flaw in my argument. With COIN, prior to 3-24 the PFC did not even have an FM.
    Okay, so I guess if someone learns something on their own, then they deserve a reward. I further infer that you believe Soldiers are learning things on their own without significant assistance or training from their superiors. Apparently one of those things is COIN, a collective endeavor performed by units, which I guess we're to believe is spontaneously performed without guidance or direction from leaders, or something. And then, this justifies a reward for restraint, or something?

Forgive me if I stop responding.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Schmedlap View Post
    Okay, so I guess if someone learns something on their own, then they deserve a reward. I further infer that you believe Soldiers are learning things on their own without significant assistance or training from their superiors. Apparently one of those things is COIN, a collective endeavor performed by units, which I guess we're to believe is spontaneously performed without guidance or direction from leaders, or something. And then, this justifies a reward for restraint, or something?
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Schmedlap View Post
    Forgive me if I stop responding.
    When doing an AAR check ego at the door. very respectfully, I am pointing out my perspective based on my training and deployments
    Last edited by Ranger94; 07-19-2010 at 05:06 AM.