Thread: Re-structuring the BCT

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Let's face it; the modern brigade is the equivalent of World War divisions. We could simply rename them divisions, for they aren't much smaller than the Russian idea of a division anyway.

You need a combined arms team including
    * the capability to penetrate MBT frontal armour (AT),
    * the capability to shoot building-destroying shells in direct and indirect fire (105mm HE and greater),
    * the capability of electronic reconnaissance (triangulation and monitoring) and radio jamming,
    * the capability to deploy enough infantry to search a large village or fight your way through a forest road,
    * the capability to sustain the force itself for at least three days without major supply deliveries
    of a much smaller size than a brigade or division.

The really, really interesting formation is therefore rather a mixed and reinforced battalion (battalion battle group / Kampfgruppe) with a three-digit head count
    and
    for missions that emphasize economy of force and reconnaissance the correct size would be a mixed company (this one would then substitute infantry with a dismount scout platoon).

I understand that the approach of "pure" administrative units is still widely preferred, but I don't get why a formation such as a brigade has even today still only one TO&E.
    It should have several ones:

An early training TO&E (training within units; equipment proficiency, typical unit missions, reaction drills).

A late training TO&E (advanced training in mixed battle groups).

A Battle group / maneuver team / Kampfgruppe / fighting column type of TO&E for a combat-heavy land campaign.

An occupation / blue helmet TO&E.

A skeleton self-defence TO&E (support units serve as makeshift infantry and AT troops, original combat units down reduced by attrition down to a third by assumption).

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
    The really, really interesting formation is therefore rather a mixed and reinforced battalion (battalion battle group / Kampfgruppe) with a three-digit head count...
    Indeed it is interesting. I was fortunate enough to be in one when many considered it the choice duty in the cold war army of the '80s.

But I understand it came with it's own problems (or special considerations), although not insurmountable. For instance, I believe our battalion combat team's battery commander had a previous battery command in the 82d to learn his trade under an FA battalion commander before being considered for battery command in the battalion combat team. The engineer platoon leader might have been likewise, I remember he was a 1LT.

FWIW, the USMC MEU(SOC) is a similar concept.
    "Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
    I understand that the approach of "pure" administrative units is still widely preferred, but I don't get why a formation such as a brigade has even today still only one TO&E.
    It should have several ones:
    Sounds like the Commonwealth model - Canada employs forces in a method very similiar to your description.

Came across this a couple of days ago. There is also a monograph out there by Maj McGee that recommends the same.

http://www.usace.army.mil/about/Lead...lion_(BEB).pdf

Default Brigade Engineer Battalion (BEB)

Here is the link to the monograph:

http://cdm15040.contentdm.oclc.org/c...ISOBOX=1&REC=8

Default Unified Qwest

Here is a link to more talk of restructuring the modular BCT:

http://www.dodbuzz.com/2011/02/08/ar...odel-doctrine/

Default Unified Quest

Sorry, Unified Quest not Qwest.