Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2010 Fires Seminar - Fort Sill, OK

Default Uh, Ken

Actually I knew that. We graduates of Fort Sill schools are taught that a round landing within 50 meters of the target counts as a target hit, something Fort Benning types have difficulty fathoming. I was born about three weeks before Ike was elected president in November 1952. When my dad was a reporter for the Louisville Courier-Journal about three years later he had one of its photographers take a picture of him holding me and my brother next to a convertible with former President Harry Truman smiling in the backseat.

Default Small world. Large CEP

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Actually I knew that. We graduates of Fort Sill schools are taught that a round landing within 50 meters of the target counts as a target hit, something Fort Benning types have difficulty fathoming.
    Oh we understand that, we're just not at all used to seeing FArty get that close, 500m ± we're used to, that and 3,200 mil deflection errors (there's a reason FOs are taught to make "bold corrections..."). The boys and girls at Sill really ought to work on that abbreviation... .
    ...When my dad was a reporter for the Louisville Courier-Journal
    My Grandfather was an Editor for the CJ, he'd retired about about four years before. I used to play with Barry Bingham, Jr; that was a really good newspaper -- until he sold it to Gannet. Was in Louisville a couple of years ago for a visit. Small world indeed...

When dad attended the Field Artillery Replacement Training Center at Camp Roberts, California in 1943 it went by the acronym FARTCEN. I know gentlemen of the press aren't the most popular people in military circles, so if it's any consolation, after having been a battery clerk in combat in Europe he went on to run the composing room of Stars and Stripes-Pacific in Tokyo in December 1945. I have the 7.7mm Arisaka he won at the S&S Christmas party raffle in 1945. At the C-J he was its TV critic for a while--he wrote that the best setting on a TV was the "off" position. He also predicted that a young comedian named Johnny Carson who was then being badly beaten in viewer ratings by Liberace would go on to have a good career.
    Last edited by Pete; 05-22-2010 at 04:43 AM.