Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Fires Seminar - Fort Sill, OK

Default 2010 Fires Seminar - Fort Sill, OK

The 2010 Fires Seminar began today, 17 May 2010 and will run through 21 May 2010. I'll be posting summaries from each day's key leader briefs for everyone's knowledge and would love feedback.

Default GEN Dempsey remarks at the Fires Seminar

GEN Dempsey Notes – TRADOC Enterprise
    Today, during GEN Dempsey’s discussion at the Fires Seminar, he discussed two broad mission sets. He defined these mission sets as, 1) wide areas of security, and 2) maneuver. GEN Dempsey stated our approach to both types needs balance and we can’t sub-optimize one for the other. Also, GEN Dempsey commented on development of the institution noting that in this century, we can’t be content to redesign ourselves every fifteen years. As the Army moves forward, he feels that the Army needs to adapt the institution on a possible two-year timeframe, transitioning from the current four-six year timeframe we currently operate in and do so with intent to redesign again every five years. For more of GEN Dempsey’s remarks and to watch other Fires Seminar briefings, log on to DCO-Connect at:
    https://connect.dco.dod.mil/r75632489
    Also, the presentations that speakers give will be posted on the Fires Knowledge Network on AKO.

MG Halverson Notes – State of the Fires
    MG Halverson, (Commander of the Fires Center of Excellence, FCoE), discussed a wide array of topics during his portion of the seminar. Some of which included a discussion on the integration of Fires Doctrine with the ACC, 3-0, and Army Operating Concepts. MG Halverson said that we must set the intellectual foundation to stay relevant in today’s operating environment and that we have to have the right approach to maintain our core competencies at all levels.
    He also took time to elaborate and dispel some “myths” about the Fires community. Some of his key points were that the Fires Force is a deployed force, adding that Field Artillery units are firing between 4000-6000 rounds per month in OEF and fire support is being used at all levels. And, AC and ARNG Air Defense units are deployed or preparing for deployment with CRAM missions, with 42% of the current Patriot force is forward stationed or deployed.
    MG Halverson also spoke of issues that the FCoE is currently. Some of the points of this discussion were:
    1.) What Fires C2 capabilities are required at various echelons?
    2.) What Fires capabilities are required at the IBCT level?
    Precision, near precision, conventional munitions mix
    Organic v. task organized
    Possible composite units
    3.) What AMD capabilities are required at the tactical levels?
    BCT – Corps
    IFPC/C-RAM/CUAS/ and CMD
    Lastly, he discussed his Top 6 Fires Gaps where he mentioned that these were the areas that needed to be addressed as we move forward as a Center of Excellence. There was then an open discussion on how best to address the shortfalls:
    1.) Lack of organic precision indirect Fires capabilities in the IBCT
    2.) Lack of ability to detect, ID, track and intercept Low/Slow UAS threats to the lowest tactical level (BCT –Div)
    3.) Lack of lightweight accurate target location designation systems to support dismounted Soldiers in the IBCT
    4.) Lack of ability to protect forces from rocket, artillery, and mortar projectiles down to the lowest tactical level
    5.) Lack of an Accurate 360 degree targeting capability to accurately employ munitions at extended ranges (BCT – FiB(Div))
    6.) Lack of ability to integrate Army and JIIM air missile defense capabilities across all echelons

For more of MG Halverson’s remarks and to watch other Fires Seminar briefings, log on to DCO-Connect at:
    https://connect.dco.dod.mil/r75632489
    Also, the presentations that speakers give will be posted on the Fires Knowledge Network on AKO.

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks for the updates on the seminar.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Default Mr. Dale Ormond's Remarks

Mr. Dale Ormond – Deputy Commander of the Combine Arms Center
    Leader Development

For his brief, Mr. Ormond reiterated a fact that in the past, situational awareness came from a top-down approach, but now it comes from the bottom-up. He said that today, we need creative thinkers and adaptive leaders in the Army and on today’s battlefields. He relayed to the audience that it was GEN Dempsey’s number one priority.
    Mr. Ormond discussed how, when we begin our initial entry phases of our Army experience, we place a significant emphasis on tactically training our men and women and how, as we move up in rank, we train less and less. This has led to a slippery slope in some regards to where there are perceptions that you have to “stay in the fight” in order to move up in rank and that these people have been unable, or have little, broadening experiences. He mentioned that having these different experiences and learning other perspectives allow for success at a strategic level. A 40-minute discussion began immediate following his brief on several issues ranging from how to best implement CCC (among other courses) to building competencies in an era persistent conflict. It was a great discussion and highly encourage people to check out video on DCO.

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair View Post
    Thanks for the updates on the seminar.
    Concur. Good job.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Knight View Post
    [B]
    2.) Lack of ability to detect, ID, track and intercept Low/Slow UAS threats to the lowest tactical level (BCT –Div)
    Concur. This is a major problem.
    3.) Lack of lightweight accurate target location designation systems to support dismounted Soldiers in the IBCT
    Why? The equipment exists and is even combat proven
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

1) A compass, binos, a protractor, and a map are not that heavy.
    2) The VECTOR system is fielded, works pretty well, and is not that heavy.

Look at your target location training, and fix it. Then look at your PT program, and fix that. If both of those are good and you're still having problems, then look at a new system.

Council Member

I don't know what gear they use, but a 13F assigned to the 75th Regiment carries around 120 pounds of gear.

Highlight of the show, for me, was the M119A3. A digital 105MM howitzer. Much easier to lay.

Council Member

Default Day Two - Joint and Combined

Joint Training, JFCOM CDR, GEN Mattis (0930-1015)
    GEN Mattis’s briefing had several key points, some of which discussed were Adaptability, Trust, Spirit of Collaboration, and the Human Innovation. On Adaptability, GEN Mattis discussed how we must be fit to fight and cannot allow the enemy to dictate how we fight. He spoke on how we need to make sure we remain dominate yet relevant at the same time. He also mentioned that we are losing our precision dominance and must move toward distributive operations. Trust was an area that GEN Mattis discussed in great length. For the joint community, trust is the point of the realm in joint and coalition operations, and that success and failure are based on the level of trust that is developed between our joint and coalition partners. From a maneuver perspective, GEN Mattis offered that trust allows us to move quickly against the enemy. Another topic for GEN Mattis was the spirit of collaboration. He mentioned that no nation is strong enough to stand on its own and defend the values it hopes to continue. Along those same lines he spoke of the race for the narrative – getting the first word out in the battle of the information age- must be embraced by all leaders and commanders. Questions included use of EW within the Joint and Coalition spectrum, sharing of TTPs with our allies, and how to work interagency issues.

Good discussion on future Coalition warfare and where we are going in the Joint realm.

Council Member

Default Day 2 - Operational Adaptability Through Affordable Modernization

LTG Vane spoke on what Army forces need to do - require a need to be executed in moderation and balance to achieve set goals – a centralized idea that drives strategic planning and leader development. He said that we have to allow Soldiers to connect with Industry, and that we have to leverage the prototype phase of development earlier. He transitioned to stating that we have to get our minds right of sending products to the field in order to identify risks and redundancies. He asked the audience to recognize that incremental improvements are a high priority as we move forward against an adaptive enemy. We must update the acquistion process to gain efficiencies. A prolonged discussion on how the Army acquires emerging systems ensued during the question and answer period.

"Buy less, more often" was a large discussion point for the group - we are doing it and have been doing it - is it better or worse, more expensive or cheaper?

Council Member

Default Day Two - Joint and Combined Offensive and Defensive Fires

Lt Gen Remington had a relatively short brief discussing the current warfighting dynamic in Korea. From the chain of command structure to the Joint Combined Fires Planning, Lt Gen Remington discussed areas and hurdles that both help and limit his ability to command his forces. At the conclusion of the brief, there was a lengthy Q&A session where questions ranged from how long range fires capabilities play into the Joint/Combine Fires planning in Korea to whether or not the architecture exists for Army JFOs to provide targeting data to JTACs located further from the DMZ if conflict were to break out.

Council Member

Default Day Two - Adaptable Leaders for Full Spectrum Operations

LTG Hunzeker thought the title to read instead Adaptable LEADERS for Full Spectrum Operations. He opened with the current state of affairs in Iraq and discussed the recent election results and implications. He transitioned to the strategic depth of our partnership with Iraq; discussing such topics as national interest, security depth, diplomatic depth, and economic depth. Then, LTG Hunzeker discussed an IJOA operations overview where the majority of the topics discussed centered on the transition to stability operations and what is being done to ensure we meet our desired endstate. Lastly, LTG Hunzeker spoke of a need to increase and support our C-RAM efforts and offered his thoughts on where the future of counter fire and the Fires curriculum should move towards.

LTG Hunzeker then asked "is manual gunnery still a requirement that we should keep are part of our field artillery curriculum?"

thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by SC6KFG68 View Post
    LTG Hunzeker then asked "is manual gunnery still a requirement that we should keep are part of our field artillery curriculum?"

thoughts?
    Yes. Same way you do not give up teaching map reading because you have GPS. Toys break. Learn to use to ones that break less often. Manual reversion?

....and I'm worried this even got asked......

Council Member

Default Gunnery

Quote Originally Posted by SC6KFG68 View Post
    I went through FAOBC in 2004 and Manual Gunnery was the bane of our existence for several months. That said, a high standard was set and you had to meet it. 10% of the class usually did not pass. Artillery does not have room for errors and you need competent FA Officers leading competent FA Soldiers. I went straight to a Fire Direction Officer slot in an Airborne battery and manual was our primary means. We used the digital systems once out in the field (with our trucks), but charts and darts were the primary means on the DZ and during initial occupation. All FA Officers had to take and pass the Safety test because if your digital goes down, you can still shoot. You need to know what AFATDS is doing, otherwise you're putting all your faith in machines.

All FA Officers, even those going straight to Fire Support Officer slots, need to understand why and how FA works. Someday, they may command a Battery and have to confirm their FDO's safety data. I only spent 3 months of my almost 4 years in a FA BN shooting (thanks convoy security and staff), but I got to shoot 700+ rounds in that short window, and had a great time. The attention to detail I learned in Gunnery paid off later as a MI officer and taught me to look at the bigger picture and moving parts of a problem. FAOBC is not suppossed to train Infantrymen or Diplomats, it is supposed to train Field Artillerymen. King of Battle!
    "What do you think this is, some kind of encounter group?"
    - Harry Callahan, The Enforcer.

"is manual gunnery still a requirement that we should keep are part of our field artillery curriculum?"
    If there is no such thing as a stupid question, this one is close enough to stupid for effects on target.

I don't know what gear they use, but a 13F assigned to the 75th Regiment carries around 120 pounds of gear.
    I could see that if you were leaving the wire for a week or so.

Council Member

patmc,

My understanding is that guns are no longer grouped into batteries by MVV, which means that using analog methods you will get an irregular sheaf. Is this effect noticeable in the field?

Council Member

Default sweet music

Quote Originally Posted by SethB View Post
    patmc,

My understanding is that guns are no longer grouped into batteries by MVV, which means that using analog methods you will get an irregular sheaf. Is this effect noticeable in the field?
    Seth, those words are music to my ears, but I haven't been near a cannon in half a decade. Someone closer to the powder has to answer that one for you. I still have my first MVV homework assignment. A lot of red pen on that one.

I should caveat what I wrote, you need to know BOTH digital and manual, which was how they taught gunnery. You learned manual, then applied it to digital. The majority of FA ops are digital because machines can crunch the big numbers fast. That said, you have to know what the computer is doing to ensure it gives you good data. You need to know what right sounds like. In my Fire Direction Center, we used AFATDS, a handheld computer and 2 charts. AFATDS accounted for Met, powder temp, elevation, etc... We confirmed it was in the right neighborhood with the charts and handheld, but shot the AFATDS data. You always want the most accurate data because mistakes can kill. Our Battery Commander trusted us to shoot off charts when needed, though.

I believe a Field Artillery Officer should know manual gunnery because it is the backbone of everything else. Assuming they'll learn it with OJT or OPDs will fail. Try reading FM 6-40 or a TFT for self improvement. OBC is unpleasant, but you learn it. "Just trust the FDNCO" is good, but you still need to verify. My SSG was really good, but I still had to give the fire commands and it was my ass if the data was bad. The fact that we both knew gunnery made ops smooth and we got along great.
    "What do you think this is, some kind of encounter group?"
    - Harry Callahan, The Enforcer.

Default Back When Ken Was a Corporal ...

When I went through FAOBC in 1978 we were taught manual gunnery first and later using computers, then FADAC, a Vietnam-era system. My Advanced Course in 1981 was the first one to be taught TACFIRE, another obsolete gunnery computer. Back around 9/11 when most Army publications were still online FM 6-40 resembled the versions I used, so it appears that things haven't changed that much. The one thing I thought Fort Sill ought to have been doing was provide pre-canned fire missions for FDC training with all the input data--grid coordinates, azimuths, met, propellant temperature, etc--as well as school solutions to the fire missions. That way it would be easier to present training for FDCs without having to do all the computations in advance. If I recall correctly something like that was available for 155mm; at my first assignment I was in a 175mm gun battalion and we didn't want to repeatedly reprogram FADAC from one caliber to another. FDC skills decline rapidly, as one can find out the hard way during live-fire exercises. I imagine many 13Bs are rusty on laying pieces and so forth after years of being infantrymen overseas.
    Last edited by Pete; 05-22-2010 at 01:39 AM.

Talking Uh, Pete...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    When I went through FAOBC in 1978 we were taught manual gunnery first and later using computers, then FADAC, a Vietnam-era system.
    Actually, I'd retired by then as an eternally young Smaj with almost ten years in grade. I think I was prob'ly a Corporal before you were born...

However, as I'm sure you meant that Corporal in '78 as a testament to said youth, you get full credit and no ' West By God' jokes for a month.

On a serious note, good point on the rapid skill decay, that's true of all cognitive skills as you know. Good news is that if those skills are firmly and properly trained and embedded they can be quickly recovered. Thus the critical importance of manual plotting...