Thread: Vietnam collection (lessons plus)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Fiasco Book Review

25 July Washington Times commentary - Freeing Iraq by Colonel Gary Anderson, USMC (ret.).

Colonel Anderson's take on Fiasco...

Writing a critical analysis about a war in progress is always a risk. But in a long war, such as the one in Iraq, there is a market for such analysis. Tom Ricks, a Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter for The Washington Post has taken a shot at in "Fiasco," which is his take on Phase IV of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Phase III, the military defeat and removal of the Saddam Hussein regime, effectively ended on April 9, 2003. Phase IV, Stability and Security Operations in military parlance, goes on today. Mr. Ricks' look at the situation is a hard and unsparing one.

Although the book is primarily about Phase IV, Mr. Ricks briefly surveys the conflict's first three phases to include the road to war. The chapter that deals with the sometimes personal conflict between retired Marine Corps general Anthony Zinni and Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz is particularly illuminating...

Mr. Ricks believes the war to have been mismanaged at both the strategic and tactical level, and he identifies culprits. He clearly believes that the incompetence and arrogance of Douglas Feith, the former Pentagon policy czar, and Paul Bremer, the American proconsul for the first year of the war, were major causes of the flawed implementation of the occupation...

Mr. Ricks flatly accuses Gen. Tommy Franks of abrogating his command responsibilities following the fall of Baghdad by concentrating on his transition to retirement at a time when strong guidance was sorely needed...

At the operational level, Mr. Ricks does not let senior military leaders off the hook for ineptitude in conducting counterinsurgency operations. Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, the overall commander during the first year of the war, gets poor grades for micromanaging tactics without giving his subordinates clear commander's intent statements regarding the strategic and operational objectives.

Maj. Gen. (now Lt. Gen.) Ray Odierno comes under very harsh criticism for creating more insurgents than he killed through his division's iron-fisted handling of the civilian population. It was Maj. Gen. Odierno's troops who captured Saddam, and Mr. Ricks credits him for that. The author is also harsh with the military system as a whole, which refused to prepare for counter-insurgency in the wake of Vietnam, a war that the system chose to forget rather than to learn from.

The book does have heroes, however. Lt. Gens. Jim Mattis, Dave Patraeus and Marty Dempsey get high marks for mentally adapting to the insurgency. Because all three are still involved, he has some optimism that they can lead to better operations in the future.

Mr. Ricks sees the individual soldiers and marines as real heroes and generally writes off many tactical problems to lack of proper leadership from their seniors. He clearly believes that they have been more adaptive than the senior Pentagon leadership and many of their generals...

What I find interesting about much of this discussion is how many people seem to be surprised by this (I'm not referring to board members, obviously). Even a casual student of history would have noticed the services, especially the Army, ran very quickly away from the counterinsurgency lessons they could have learned from Vietnam. Franks' conduct during Operation Anaconda was also questionable, a trend he carried over into Iraq it seems. Working with the Air Force, I even see them saying that they can "win" a counterinsurgency from the air!

Given the nature of the organizations, I suppose it's inevitable. The Army was very heavily imprinted with the business school and mass production mentality of its senior leaders during World War II and after, and the Air Force has always been possessed by a need to proclaim itself capable of winning, on its own, ANY war it happens to face. This doesn't apply to all members of either service, but there is an organizational culture and identity that encourages these views and approaches. What is to me the most disappointing aspect of it is that our forces currently contain some of the brightest recruits they've ever had. These people are ready and willing to do the job, and for the most part quickly adapt to changing situations if they're given proper background and some guidance. That they could be let down so seriously by their senior commanders is very depressing.

Council Member

Default Blame maneuver war, if you like.

I think senior army commanders have largely avoided counterinsurgency for a couple of reasons. First of all, it's largely the province of the Special Forces or the Marines with their banana wars experience. Second, is the main stress placed on maneuver war.

In the early to mid 1970's, the Army was reborn after Vietnam. The officers at that time woke up and saw just how powerful Warsaw Pact forces had become. Maneuver warfare offered the only doctrine capable of standing off such a large army. Previously, the Army had gotten by on mass, especially massed firepower. This worked great until they noticed the much greater mass just to the east.

With a focus on defeating a massed threat that was always considered to be practically superior, and with literally the fate of the world hanging in the balance, is it any wonder that the army dropped its study of everything else? We talk about the focus on high intensity warfare in western Europe as if it were some kind of grand strategic mistake. Yet given the level of threat posed by Warsaw Pact ground and nuclear forces, how can you blame them? The Soviets might have seen all this small wars preparation and light infantry stuff and decided we were pushovers. The United States is a great power because of our focus on big wars - the defining feature of a great military power is the ability to fight that kind of war, after all. That US forces remained ignorant in the twenty first century is a matter of simple negligence - that they wilfully turned all of their attention to thousands of Soviet tanks thirty years ago was a matter of accomplishing their mission.

Default Ricks on Meet the Press

Here is the transcript of Tom Ricks on Meet the Press this past Sunday. (scroll down to pick up where Ricks is interviewed).

MR. RUSSERT: And we are back, talking to Tom Ricks, the Pentagon correspondent for The Washington Post.

“Fiasco: The American Military Adventure in Iraq.” That sounds like a very harsh assessment. Who did you talk to? What documents did you see?

MR. THOMAS E. RICKS: I talked to over 100 senior military officers and, and soldiers of all ranks, from private to four-star general for the book. I did five reporting trips in Iraq and also talked to a lot of people back here. I read 37,000 pages of documents. Enormous amounts of information are available. And guys at the end of interviews would say, “Here’s a CD-ROM with every e-mail I sent to Paul Bremer when I was out there.” So there’s an amazing amount of information available.

MR. RUSSERT: Here is the summary, early on in your book. “This book’s subtitle terms the U.S. effort in Iraq an adventure in the critical sense of adventurism—that is, with the view that the U.S.-led invasion was launched recklessly, with a flawed plan for war and a worse approach to occupation. Spooked by its own false conclusions about the threat, the Bush administration hurried its diplomacy, short-circuited its war planning, and assembled an agonizingly incompetent occupation. None of this was inevitable. It was made possible only through the intellectual acrobatics of simultaneously ‘worst-casing’ the threat presented by Iraq while ‘best-casing’ the subsequent cost and difficulty of occupying the country.”

Let’s talk about the intelligence first. And, you write about the national intelligence estimate. And this is how you described it. “In September of ‘02 the U.S. intelligence prepared a comprehensive summary, called the National Intelligence Estimate, or NIE, of what it knew about ‘Iraq’s Continuing Programs for Weapons of Mass Destruction.’ ... It was prepared at the request of members of Congress who expected to vote on going to war with Iraq and wanted something on which to base their vote. ... As a political document that made the case for war the NIE of October ‘02 succeeded brilliantly. As a professional intelligence product it was shameful. But it did its job, which wasn’t really to assess Iraqi weapons programs but to sell a war. There was only one way to disprove its assertions: invade Iraq, which is what the Bush administration wanted to do.”

You’re suggesting the intelligence community was an accomplice in providing information to Congress that wasn’t accurate?

MR. RICKS: Yes. That document did not accurately reflect the information available inside the intelligence community. But you had a process of narrowing; as the information moved its way upward, doubts were stripped away. And so what you finally had in that document was something very different from what the experts actually thought. And it kind of just all veered off in one direction. It wasn’t like all the doubts were, were stripped off, it was all the doubts that said, “This may be wrong, they may not have WMD.”

MR. RUSSERT: There were some caveats in the NIE.

MR. RICKS: There were, but they tended to be ignored, especially in the summaries, which is what officials actually had. And you wound up with a situation where Colin Powell basically sacrificed his credibility and gave a speech at the U.N. based on that NIE that was utterly false, as he now admits.

MR. RUSSERT: General Shinseki, the Army chief of staff, you write in his book, he was “worried by the possibility of ‘a major influx of Islamic fighters’ from elsewhere to the Middle East ... concluded that it would be necessary ‘to size the postwar force bigger than the wartime force.’ [Shinseki] prepared carefully for the Capitol Hill appearance at which he would unveil that thought and effectively go into public opposition against the war plan being devised under Rumsfeld’s supervision.”

That was the famous testimony where Shinseki said it may take a couple hundred thousand troops in order to success—be successful in Iraq. Paul Wolfowitz, a deputy Pentagon chief said that he was wildly off the mark.

MR. RICKS: Mm-hmm.

MR. RUSSERT: And that Shinseki really was stampeded into answering that question. You found something else?

MR. RICKS: That was one of the surprises to me in reporting the book, that Shinseki had had his staff go and talk to historians, looked at other occupations and come up with a very concrete estimate based on historical precedent of how many troops might be needed. And he concluded several hundred thousand. The Bush administration saw that as an attempt to actually stop the invasion because they really came to distrust the Army because the Army was coming up with all these objections and doubts and saying things like this is not really—or invading Iraq would not be part of the war on terror. And ultimately, the joint chiefs of staff sent out an order saying you will consider an invasion of Iraq part, part of the war on terror.

MR. RUSSERT: You said that General Tommy Franks, who was in head of the initial invasion of the war, used the phrase “speed kills” in terms of supporting a lower force than Shinseki had talked about. Talk about Franks, what he recommended, and the effectiveness of that initial invasion as opposed to the occupation.

MR. RICKS: Another surprise to me in writing this was that I think this probably was one of the worst war plans in American history. When you talked to people who had to implement it, they said it didn’t speak to the basic problem. All the energy went to how you get to Baghdad, which was the easy part of it. Very little thought went to what do you do after you get there. So they spent 90 percent of their time on 10 percent of the problem. And they had a war plan that was effectively a kind of a banana republic coup d’etats: decapitate the Iraqi regime. When actually the plan that they were supposed to do was supposed to change Iraq and change the Middle East. So the war plan really didn’t speak to what top authorities, the president, had asked them to do.

MR. RUSSERT: Donald Rumsfeld, when the first looting was shown on the TV screens criticized the media for showing the pictures over and over again. He said that, “Stuff happens.” That sometimes these things are untidy—freedom’s untidy. And then there was a debate between Rumsfeld and the press corps as to whether we were involved in a guerilla warfare. You said that Secretary Rumsfeld was paralyzed when the looting began. Talk about that.

MR. RICKS: This would have been, I think, the time when Rumsfeld’s forceful personality really could’ve helped if he’d come in in this late spring and early summer of 2003 and said, “This is different from what we thought it was going to be.” But what I heard from officials who were at the CPA, the American Occupation Authority, was there was kind of a paralysis at the top, that they couldn’t get Rumsfeld to change, couldn’t get him to adjust, couldn’t even get him to say yes, we are fighting a war. And so for about eight weeks, a crucial time early in the occupation, June and July, you really have the U.S. military frozen in place because it’s a hierarchical institution. And the guy at the top was not adjusting to changed circumstances.

MR. RUSSERT: You end the book by saying that history will determine whether the president was correct in saying that the invasion will make our country more secure. Right now you have doubts.

MR. RICKS: I have real doubts because while there’s a small chance, I think, that Iraq ultimately will become a stable pro-American democracy, I think there’s a much larger chance that it won’t. And I think it’s an extremely worrisome situation. We kind of have a low-level civil war there. If it becomes a more intensible war, it easily could spill over its own borders and across the Middle East and we’d have a regional war on our hands.

MR. RUSSERT: But you do not think American troops should withdraw immediately.

MR. RICKS: I think it would be irresponsible to go in there and do what we’ve done and then walk away from it. There’s a lot of Iraqis out there who have committed their lives to helping the Americans do something there. And to abandon those people, I think, would be absolutely shameful as well.

MR. RUSSERT: How long do you think we’ll be there?

MR. RICKS: Ten to 15 years, at least.

MR. RUSSERT: At what size force?

MR. RICKS: I think they’ll probably get it down to maybe 110,000 by the end of this year, and probably 50,000 by the end of next year. And then you could have a steady stay for five or 10 years, even 15 years, but I think it’s going to be a long, hard struggle.

MR. RUSSERT: Tom Ricks. The book, “Fiasco: the American Military Adventure in Iraq.” We thank you for sharing your views.

MR. RICKS: Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones_RE
    I think senior army commanders have largely avoided counterinsurgency for a couple of reasons. First of all, it's largely the province of the Special Forces or the Marines with their banana wars experience. Second, is the main stress placed on maneuver war.

In the early to mid 1970's, the Army was reborn after Vietnam. The officers at that time woke up and saw just how powerful Warsaw Pact forces had become. Maneuver warfare offered the only doctrine capable of standing off such a large army. Previously, the Army had gotten by on mass, especially massed firepower. This worked great until they noticed the much greater mass just to the east.

With a focus on defeating a massed threat that was always considered to be practically superior, and with literally the fate of the world hanging in the balance, is it any wonder that the army dropped its study of everything else? We talk about the focus on high intensity warfare in western Europe as if it were some kind of grand strategic mistake. Yet given the level of threat posed by Warsaw Pact ground and nuclear forces, how can you blame them? The Soviets might have seen all this small wars preparation and light infantry stuff and decided we were pushovers. The United States is a great power because of our focus on big wars - the defining feature of a great military power is the ability to fight that kind of war, after all. That US forces remained ignorant in the twenty first century is a matter of simple negligence - that they wilfully turned all of their attention to thousands of Soviet tanks thirty years ago was a matter of accomplishing their mission.
    Obviously the Army needed to devote the majority of its attention to Central Europe, but did they have to neglect virtually every other possible conflict? That's more the question, I think. The large push into maneuver warfare actually originated with the Marine Corps, not the Army, if memory serves. And I would propose that another feature of a great military power is flexibility. Now I also believe that the Army is getting there, and perhaps making strides quicker than many of its critics felt was possible. The Army is also to a degree a victim of its history following World War II. We are still paying the price for some of the leadership by management ideas that came in during that time, and saw perhaps their ultimate expression during Vietnam.

Default Pockets of Excellence

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair
    Obviously the Army needed to devote the majority of its attention to Central Europe, but did they have to neglect virtually every other possible conflict? That's more the question, I think. The large push into maneuver warfare actually originated with the Marine Corps, not the Army, if memory serves. And I would propose that another feature of a great military power is flexibility. Now I also believe that the Army is getting there, and perhaps making strides quicker than many of its critics felt was possible. The Army is also to a degree a victim of its history following World War II. We are still paying the price for some of the leadership by management ideas that came in during that time, and saw perhaps their ultimate expression during Vietnam.
    I had the opportunity to observe the Army while working for the Marine Corps from 1997 to the present. Even got invited to be part of a CALL collection team on a MOUT-focused rotation at the JRTC, as well as other opportunities… This was during the time that Maneuver Warfare and Air-Land Battle were being flushed out and incorporated and my particular area - urban operations - were getting a serious look as a harbinger of our future.

Without over-simplifying the crux of the issue - the Army had many, many individuals and organizations that "got it". Unfortunately, these same individuals and organizations were buried within the combat branches which led to a sum-of-the-parts does not equal the whole scenario. The Army is huge and branch turf battles were on par with service battles within the Pentagon. At least that was this outsider’s humble opinion.

Sometimes I think that we as Marines forget that our size, organization and the power / influence of the Commandant make for a relatively more rapid "sea change" when it comes to concepts, doctrine and organizational issues.

The Army is huge, had a lot of Cold War baggage to overcome and had to deal with branches that were hell-bent on not losing their place in the future operational environment.

In the last decade I have met as many Army officers, SNCOs and NCOs that “got it” as I did Marines. The Marine Corps’ future thinkers had the luxury of being a big fish in a small pond whilst our Army counterparts were the proverbial little fish in a big pond.

Council Member

Default Is the hug an insurgent approach working

I raise some questions about the new approach in Iraq at PrairiePundit.

Much has been made recently of a new approach to counterinsurgency warfare in Iraq that has been dubbed "hug and insurgent." Thomas Ricks' new book Fiasco implies that the US old appraoch in Iraq caused the insurgency, but the new hug an insurgent approach may be a winner.

It is my observation that we looked more like we were winning under the old approach than under the new approach. The new approach has put the troops in more danger and has hurt morale. A recent story quoted a troop as saying they were just going around waiting to be blown up. That does seem to be what the hug an insurgent approach requires.

If you read stories from Ramadi that describe the action, they are mainly about Marines or soldiers in defensevie positions who are dodging snipers and waiting to be attacked, while occassionally going on patrols through neighborhoods. Even the aggressivenes is reactionary. Here is an example of the new approach. There are some who are optimistic about the new approach.

It is certainly hard to say that the approach is working in Baghdad where more troops are being brought in to try the ink blot approach to neighborhood policing. Right now the Fallujah and Tal Afar approach certainly give more immediate signs of success, The metrics of the hug an insurgent approach appear to be much mushier at this point.

I think that one of the problems with this change in strategy is its false premise that the old approach was driving people to the insurgents. This certainly seems to be one of the themes of Ricks' Fiasco.

This may be the most unpopular insurgency in history. It is making war on the people of Iraq instead of the US and the Iraqi government. Classic insurgents attack the governemnt in hopes that it will lash back and alienate the people. In Iraq the insurgents are making war on non combatants and only fight government and US forces in defensive actions when attacked.

I am sure there are many who may disagree with this take, but I think it is worth discussing the premise of "driving people to the insurgents" in Iraq as well as the effect of the new approach on morale. When you consider that the insurgence is composed of three primary elements, al Qaeda, former regime elements, and Iraqi rejectionist, it is pretty clear to me that the first two are the biggest problem and also the least likely to have been motivated by how the US approached Phase IV operations of the Iraq war plan. Al Qaeda is primarily motivated by religious bigotry that has nothing to do with any approach to counterinsurgency warfare. The former regime elements are just continuing to do what they did when Saddam was in power, only now they have people shooting back at them. The Iraqi rejectionist are the hardest to define, but perhaps they may have been motivated by a reaction to the troops, but they also could have been motivated by native tribalism that would react to any outsider no matter what the treatment.