Thread: The Middle East (general catch all)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanPride View Post
    David,

I saw these graphics the other day and I think they're well done. But I'm curious - (1) is the Middle East any more complex than other regions of the world and (2) what explains the West's generalization of the complexity of non-Western regions?

I suspect this perception, and the subsequent 'surprise' in U.S. media about the 'complexity' of the Middle East, is less about the region's actual complexity and more about the Western narrative and access to information.
    No, the Middle East is no more complex than Africa or Europe, even the USA, if you are watching from another place. The graphics try to reduce complexity to diagrams, we are the visual generation, no longer the written generation and reflects the amount of time those who wish to learn have. The number involved is variable and often unpredictable in the West.

(More later time for dinner)
    davidbfpo

The vast majority of the public in the USA simply do not watch matters overseas beyond very limited sooundbites and short film clips. So when a crisis or a newsworthy item appears - go simple folks.

I expect in Western Europe each country watches different parts of the world more closely and public policy themes too. The French public may watch North Africa for example.

Another factor I think is that with a few exceptions the MENA diaspora has little impact politically - reverse kith & kin. So few can ask someone from MENA themselves. Clearly there are a good number of expats working across MENA, although I'd venture the numbers have declined in the last twentty years - except in the Gulf (200k Brits work there).
    davidbfpo