Hi Sir,

Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
The COG is "Good Governance." What I propose here is that if you have good governance you have peace, at least internally to your state.

Critical Requirements ARE the inputs. They are what are required to produce Good Governance. If one sees the COG as the factory; CCs are what the Factory produces; and CRs are the materials the factory requires to produce it.

What I propose is that if in fact Good Governance is the COG; and that if in fact these four causal perceptions are what determines if Good Governance exists; then one must logically determine in any given community what the perceptions are on these four factors (giving you your CVs) and focusing on the ones that are negative but also shapeable. HVTs and HVIs are then merely refining ones targeting down to specific families of action and specific projects within those families.
Thanks for the clarification. Can the above be considered your BLUF?

I see our current development-focused COIN as essentially importing parking lots full of final products in the hope that somehow the "factory" that produces such products will miraculously appear.
Here's one example, as I see it, of our attempt to bring in the final products without first building the factory.

Marjah- Marines clear Taliban gov't and assume control; however, there is no ready-made alternative government structure to fill the political, security, and economic vacuum. Without an existing security force to police, a judicial system to resolve disputes, and an economic system to encourage growth, the local populace perceives bad governance.

OTOH,

So what I propose is that if in fact Good Governance is the COG; and that if in fact these four causal perceptions are what determines if Good Governance exists; then one must logically determine in any given community what the perceptions are on these four factors (giving you your CVs) and focusing on the ones that are negative but also shapeable. HVTs and HVIs are then merely refining ones targeting down to specific families of action and specific projects within those families.
This reminds me more of the Phillipines or Colombian model. The task organization would be 80/20 state to mil. Instead of clearing and holding areas, advisors would work to assist and encourage the existing gov't towards better governance.

Am I tracking?