Thread: Operationalizing The Jones Model through COG

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
    There is a good chance your persistent posts consisting of "I disagree" or "I don't understand" don't lend much to the SWJ community.
    Fair one, but actually I do see this an important and useful discussion.
    There are dozens of other threads on this site where your comments typically add very much indeed. Post where you please, obviously, but I for one am not benefiting from what you are posting here.
    My issue is with your argument. Not you. I have the utmost respect for you, I just do not agree with your argument.

You state the issue in Rebellions/Insurgencies is with "poor governance." I understand that and in some cases it may even be correct, but surely this is the realm of policy?
    If the US Government tells you to prop up a dictator, then that is the policy. Your job is to do it.

If you are telling me that it is sound policy to force "good governance" on folks, then OK, but my guess is that insurgents who resent your secular western democratic "governance" will use violence to oppose it. What then?

If they do NOT use violence, then they are using the political process (formal or informal, regular or irregular) - and thus should be immune from military action, in regards to supporting the policy (do not needlessly kill civilians)

Now if the above tells you that I do not understand something about the relationship of Policy to Strategy and Strategy to tactics, then I really want to know what I am missing.
    Last edited by William F. Owen; 05-25-2010 at 03:08 PM.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Default Basic Green Beret Stuff

As I was taught.

You have a guerrilla army that formed as a reaction to an oppressive government. The Guerrillas are recruited from the ingenious population.

You have a conventional army of the oppressive government.
    The army of the oppressive government also recruits from the indigenous population.

The more guerrillas that are killed by the government army the more they are killing their own "kinfolks" and will do nothing but make the guerrilla army stronger. Hence you cannot kill your way out of it without murdering your whole population.

SF-can advise/train (they should not fight if possible)the legitimate guerrilla Army of the people and free them from their oppressive government. And we all live happily ever after.
    Last edited by slapout9; 05-25-2010 at 03:57 PM. Reason: fix stuff