Quote Originally Posted by Red Rat View Post
What works for the IDF will not work for the UK Army as both organisations are reflective of different societies, but there will be crossover based on expected professional competencies.
Possibly. A lot of IDF stuff does not translate due to the gulf in cultures, but both armies claim to be looking for the same basic things in officers.
I would not recommend using an Israeli (or German) approach, but I think there is amble evidence to support a move to a "Sans-Sandhurst" approach that may prove more effective.
Those that pass selection and then training are (in the army's opinion) performing well on ops.
Concur. Nothing I have ever seen tells me that the UK has a problem with junior officers. Most I have met in recent years seem to be a bit more switched on than those I served with.
I think there is more of an issue with the through training and education of the officer corps then there is with initial selection, training and performance on operations.
Again concur. There is a problem with professional education. I don't buy into the "complex adaptive" thinker BS. Someone grounded in professional knowledge and experience is all you need. What that professional knowledge and experience is, is very up for grabs.