Thread: Point/Counterpoint: Are the Service Academies in Trouble?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    Purely in terms of instructor experience, maturity and training the Brit system (as I understand it) is way ahead of the Israelis (as I understand theirs).
    Actually you do have a point, but it has to be asked how much of a problem it really is. For example, a lot of the gunnery instructors at the armour school are 19-year-old girls. The same is true of the Sniper instructors at the sniper School, and the parachute instructors at the airborne school. 19-year-old girls!!

OK, so how good or experienced do you have to be to teach either of those subjects, if the instructors have been selected from their ability to instruct them? In the IDF, the girls, pass on the basics, just as well as anyone can, and the men they are teaching then go off and gain the experience. None of the guys have a hang-up about women instructors, so it's simply not an issue.
    Senior instructors, who train the instructors, tend to be long-service NCOs.

Tactical/operational training is done by officers.

I have known a good few very experienced soldiers who were very bad instructors. Experience generally informs practice, not teaching. "Them that can does. Them that can't, teach."
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    Actually you do have a point, but it has to be asked how much of a problem it really is. For example, a lot of the gunnery instructors at the armour school are 19-year-old girls. The same is true of the Sniper instructors at the sniper School, and the parachute instructors at the airborne school. 19-year-old girls!!

OK, so how good or experienced do you have to be to teach either of those subjects, if the instructors have been selected from their ability to instruct them? In the IDF, the girls, pass on the basics, just as well as anyone can, and the men they are teaching then go off and gain the experience. None of the guys have a hang-up about women instructors, so it's simply not an issue.
    Senior instructors, who train the instructors, tend to be long-service NCOs.

I have known a good few very experienced soldiers who were very bad instructors. Experience generally informs practice, not teaching. "Them that can does. Them that can't, teach."
    In a second follow up reply I covered the Rhodesian approach to nation Service "leader" training.

I accept if there is a system whereby careful selection (like the Israeli Kaba for example) and an low instructor student ratio are achieved there is a lot you can do with talented people in a relatively short period of time.

I think it is intelligent to analyse each specific training subject and assess exactly who really needs to provide that instruction. Back then I would have loved to have a 19 year girl give me training on my personal weapon and I don't see it matters with para training or even dispatching. The thing is you don't necessarily free up "men" for active service by doing this as I noted a tendency for those maybe not best suited to active service tended to gravitate to training and peripheral jobs.

I do think that the student / instructor ratio is a critical success factor in just about all training.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    One needs to consider that.

Certainly tactical training for officers should be done by officers as it would relate to a unit and formation context. I would add officer courses to this.

I accept that on a Senior NCOs tactics course there should be a course officer who has a personal involvement in the training together with a core team of warrant officer instructors.

All other tactical training, being the "junior" tac course and all recruit training should IMHO be done by NCOs.