Quote Originally Posted by Schmedlap View Post
But our policy makers have chosen to prop up a new government and defend it against the Taliban. Not saying that was wise, but just observing that's the reality. That is what we need to deal with.
Very true, and certainly the management of that situation is part of our present and our immediate future. Just pointing out that this was our choice, it wasn't inevitable, and that we may be able to avoid such situations in the future by making different choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmedlap View Post
I agree with most of what you wrote, as I'm sure most who have no imbibed the COIN bong water will also agree. But it seems that the solution you offer up is to put wise men into office and to conduct actual strategic planning. I suspect the odds of that happening are far less than the odds of us destroying the Taliban.
Also very true, and I've no good ideas on how to weasel out of that one. One way might be to drink the bong water and merge with the Borg. Another might be to run off to self-imposed exile on a remote mountaintop and rant on the internet... but I already did that