Thread: The British In Iraq (merged thread)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

If true, a perfect example of field commanders findings themselves having to look over their shoulder because their Government has no real will to win the war, just to appear to fall into line with U.S. policy.

Default SWJ Roundup

I started a SWJ Blog roundup post and will keep it updated as more of this story unfolds.

Patmc - I stole your title - thanks and a hat tip.

Default Heh...

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk View Post
    If true, a perfect example of field commanders findings themselves having to look over their shoulder because their Government has no real will to win the war, just to appear to fall into line with U.S. policy.
    That seems to also frequently apply to US Commanders...

Why, one could almost suspect there was no US policy...

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    That seems to also frequently apply to US Commanders...

Why, one could almost suspect there was no US policy...
    Policy, Ken? Somethin' that politicians create and soldiers try not to look at for fear of what they may see? That is, when policy is not "hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil"?

carl wrote:

Ms Ali was also unimpressed, describing the British troops as lodgers.
    Shades of the Quartering Act! - Oh wait, at least the Brits paid for that priviledge in Basra. Seems to have had almost the same result though - I still doubt the Redcoats would be overly welcome in Boston, and it's been more than 200 years...

"I still doubt the Redcoats would be overly welcome in Boston, and it's been more than 200 years..."

Oh, I don't know. As long as they didn't wear a uniform on St. Patrick's Day I think they would ok. In any event, New York is just down the road and Royal Navy sailors thought that was a great liberty port in WWII.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

British commanders were accused of turning a blind eye to lawlessness in the city as they forged an IRA-style reconciliation pact with the Madhi army, which controlled swathes of Basra with gangster-like ruthlessness.

I can't believe any element of the UK power structure would be this stupid! The IRA "cease fire" was crafted under some very specific ROE and communication channels, including entities known for over 20 years, who spoke English!!

Plus the British Army retained complete freedom of action to ensure local security and HM Governance - not what happened in Basra, which was basically surrender, if the press stories are accurate!

...and I am just dreading having to sit down with the "local" military thinkers and theorists next week. I got enough flak over the Royal Navy hostages.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    ...and I am just dreading having to sit down with the "local" military thinkers and theorists next week. I got enough flak over the Royal Navy hostages.
    Those wouldn't be the local military thinkers and theorists who just exchanged prisoners for two bodies--thereby handing Hizbullah a massive PR victory--would it?

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Brynen View Post
    Those wouldn't be the local military thinkers and theorists who just exchanged prisoners for two bodies--thereby handing Hizbullah a massive PR victory--would it?
    Certainly not. Those were politicians, diplomats, and political science folks.

Moreover, as I believe that military force should be subservient to the higher moral and thus religious doctrines, I would hold that this descision falls outside military thought, and theory.

The return of the bodies has massive religious and cultural significance in the Jewish faith, and also in the existence of Israel. Personally, I think the price was far too high, (EG: the return Samir Kuntar) but I am in no position to criticise the families or those whose faith demands this.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

The effect of British policy on Iraqi public opinion should be considered too. If the following quote from a TimesOnLine story is in any way typical of that opinion, the policy has been a disaster.

'He had less of a glowing impression of the British military, which had control of security in Basra from March 2003 until December 2007, a period that saw the al-Mehdi Army militia grow in strength and influence.

"British forces did not make an impression on the people of Basra. They let the militia control the city and stayed away from events."

Ms Ali was also unimpressed, describing the British troops as lodgers.

"As we know, people who rent stay away from trouble even if it is harming the house he has rented," she said.

"In my personal opinion, although I have no expertise, the US forces always want to appear strong and able to succeed in any battle. They will never allow militias to ruin the reputation of the US army."'
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene