Thread: Future Small Wars and the USMC

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Future Small Wars and the USMC

Would the US be better served if the USMC went "back to the future," and once again became "troops of the Department of State?" I am not simply suggesting a return in mission, but a wholesale transfer of authority from DoD to DoS over the USMC, similar to the DHS now having authority over the Coast Guard. Before every Marine reading this has a heart-attack and votes me off the island, think about the following: What would the implications be of institutionally combining USAID and the USMC? What would this mean for our abilities to use all elements of national power to manage and resolve conflict around the globe? Most Marines that have MEU experience are used to working closely with the embassy as a matter of routine, thus habitual relationships are present. Isnt the USMC's history all about Small Wars? Would this not enable our Small Wars efforts? Would this not put us on the cutting edge of not only the GWOT, but managing and resolving conflict globally?

This would further allow the Army and Navy to pursue efforts aimed at countering DPRK, PRC, etc. While some may immediately think of Thomas Barnett's books, I am not suggesting that the framework he proposes is optimal, only that the motive is sound.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Strickland; 07-28-2006 at 01:31 PM.