Thread: Who are "The Strategists"?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I guess part of it depends on how you define “strategist.” Certain other factors also have to be considered. Europe’s history is more extensive than that of the US, and the involvement of higher military figures in actual government and policy-making has been higher. There was also a significant period of US history where our focus was very much inward (although the Frontier expansion was warfare and did involve strategy…although not in what might be considered the traditional or European sense), and our political structure has always militated against the formation of long-term policy.

That said, I do believe we have produced more than a few “grand strategists.” By that I mean strategy that focuses on the integrated (political and military) level and tries to carry over through more than one 2-year election cycle. Theodore Roosevelt was one of our first in my view. Nixon attempted to be one, and did meet with some successes on the political side. Wilson thought he was one, as did MacArthur.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair View Post
    I guess part of it depends on how you define “strategist.”
    I am not sure you can. Mao knew how to set forth a policy via all instruments of power, but I am not sure that he did it alone.
    Does asking "Who are the great leaders" ask the same question. My opinion of Hannibal would suggest "No," in his case.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    I am not sure you can. Mao knew how to set forth a policy via all instruments of power, but I am not sure that he did it alone.
    Ah, but to me that's one of the hallmarks of a good strategist...knowing when to get others to buy in and how to coordinate that effort. Nimitz was good at that. I agree that in many ways it's not a solitary effort, but there is still usually a guiding idea or vision lurking in the back of that coordinated effort.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Council Member

Default 2 criteria

1. Have expressed the strategic contributuon in writing - either writing oneself or having the essence of your strategic thought captured by others and credited to you.
    2. Having seen one's strategic innovations applied successfully in the field.

In both cases need to encompass ends, ways, and means and remember that the enemy has a vote.

I would then nominate Henry Kissinger as a strategiston the basis of his books Nuclear Weapons and Foreign Policy and The Necessity for Choice. I would also nominate my friend and colleague Max Manwaring.

Cheers

JohnT

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair View Post
    Ah, but to me that's one of the hallmarks of a good strategist...knowing when to get others to buy in and how to coordinate that effort.
    Concur. Good point. Useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by John T. Fishel View Post
    1. Have expressed the strategic contributuon in writing - either writing oneself or having the essence of your strategic thought captured by others and credited to you.
    2. Having seen one's strategic innovations applied successfully in the field.
    Very tough criteria, but leaves me back at Clausewitz!
    I would also nominate my friend and colleague Max Manwaring.
    In that context, I would also nominate Colin S. Gray (also a friend). I shall endeavour to acquaint myself more with Max Manwaring.
    Last edited by William F. Owen; 06-04-2010 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Size
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition