Quote Originally Posted by gute View Post
Fuchs: What would a true Combined Arms formation look like? If you were organizing the U.S. Army HBCT, IBCT and SBCT what would they look like in both armor and infantry?
If I were organizing the US Army, I would retain the 3 tier system, but rebalance. Overall, I prefer big BCTs, when going modular, we should have used the assets of the old Force XXI division to produce 2 very large, very capable BCTs, instead of 4 minimally capable BCTs.

IBCTs: initial/immediate is 8 only (reduction from 20ish), all on ABN status and active duty; in addition to severely restricted terrain, the other are that truly "light" formations excel in is rapid deployment/forced entry; second step is get the third maneuver battalion back, if necessary trading the current recon SQDN down to a separate troop; sequentially, add a fourth maneuver battalion and convert the WPNS Cos to rifle companies, retaining a single TOW company in the BCT, preferably on something light and armored (Wiesal maybe, something in that class anyway) instead of HMMWV.

SBCTs: I like this organization, convert most BCTs to this model (29 of 45 active BCTs, 1/2 to 2/3s of the ARNG); retain identical organizations, while producing variety by modifying the vehicle systems used, M2s or even M113s, maybe a more modern ICV replacement; M1, M8 AGS or something like Centauro for an MGS replacement; not sure about the RV, but we could probably find some variant that shares parts in the modified organizations; organizationally, the AT CO should go into the infantry BNs (maybe as a platoon in HHC), and a fourth CO added to each BN; an STB to C2 all the current separate COs; some other minor organizational changes (HUMINT consolidation, probably need increased EN capability with sappers in the maneuver battalions and bridging in the STB, etc); the key is that all of these middle-weight BCTs are organized identically, just differing equipment

HBCTs: again, reduction from 17-20 (whatever we are at now) to 8 active, converting the rest to SBCTs (ARNG is 1/3 - 1/2 HBCT, remaining SBCT); logic on this reduction is that we executed OIF 1 with the equivalent of 4 HBCTs from 3ID, 8 allows us to maintain that capability- if we need more, we can activate the ARNG and accelerate the active forces in the ARFORGEN cycle; ultimately, build a third CAB, and return the sapper/gap crossing to the CABs with bridging/roadbuilding/construction engineers in the STB;