Thread: Mech Platoon: CAB or ACR

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Sparky Bait

WTF with the "Gavin". No one but Sparky has ever called it that. Never heard it once in 13 years of active duty.

My M113 experience and argument here. It's simply a vehicle beyond its time. I haven't heard a single serving soldier advocate for more of them over our newer vehicles.
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?

Council Member

Default you have now

Quote Originally Posted by Cavguy View Post
    WTF with the "Gavin". No one but Sparky has ever called it that. Never heard it once in 13 years of active duty.

My M113 experience and argument here. It's simply a vehicle beyond its time. I haven't heard a single serving soldier advocate for more of them over our newer vehicles.
    you have now

The 113 was good in Vietnam, once they got the diesel versions in-country, but it tended to be used more as an armored scout vehicle and fire support platform (ACAV configuration, anyone?) than it was as a transport. And they had the same reliability problems there that CavGuy mentions in his linked thread. Was it effective in its day? No question. Could we do better today? I'd say so.

And it was never officially tagged the Gavin.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Default The M113 "Zelda"

here amongst the Ptarch, the M113 is called the Zelda - cool chicks name, not some old Generals name! - It's a culture thing.

For me, what the M113 shows is the art of the possible. It certainly crushes the idea that coming up with an effective APC is the dark art that so many make it out to be.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Council Member

Default M113s Russian cousin...

...IMO the Soviet/Russian MTLB is probably the eastern bloc's...sorry, I mean eastern europe's equivalent (at least re: 2+11 pax). It's light ground pressure footprint is truely phenomenal. If the Russian's could get half decent crew ergonomics going it might even best the venerable M113 "Gavin" (tongue-FIRMLY-in-cheek).

Default The M 113 is conceptually a good vehicle, far better than many I could name.

It is in fact 1950 technology and it is in fact out of date, no question. It suffered in all versions from various shortfalls.

All of which were and are identified. All of which were corrected / are being corrected OR could easily have been -- but to do so would have killed the need for the Bradley in its time or the FCS more recently.

Thus the US Army deliberately did not consistently upgrade the 113 as they could have and arguably should have and as many other nations with less money very effectively did and still do. That's Army politics at work.

Produce the 113 with todays technology and you have a vehicle that would be reliable, have great range, is quiet, has a low silhouette and is adequately survivable when properly employed. It would also be cheap...

Steve Blair's comment on Viet Nam reliability is correct and most of the problems were due to (1) the flawed US tracks (we don't do them that well...); (2) the electrical system; the voltage regulator spec was wrong and all the early versions overcharged and thus over heated the batteries' (3) poor maintenance. Armor did a reasonable job in that latter, Infantry did not.

There may be a better all round utility track out there but I haven't seen or heard of it. It is not a good combat vehicle due to the aluminum armor -- though IIRC, some composite hull trial versions have been built. -- and Steve's right, no one ever called that a Gavin except Sparky and his readers...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    Produce the 113 with todays technology and you have a vehicle that would be reliable, have great range, is quiet, has a low silhouette and is adequately survivable when properly employed. It would also be cheap...
    Hmm, maybe if you think one million or two was cheap.

The modern equivalent is the tracked SEP version, and the project starved (almost) because the 8x8 fashion and MRAP fashion stripped it off cash.
    Its 6x6 version (there was one 6x6 and one band track version) was turned into a 8x8 version.

http://media.defenseindustrydaily.co..._Summer_lg.jpg

http://www.army-technology.com/projects/sep/

http://www.baesystems.com/BAEProd/gr...agg_sep_4s.pdf

Default For a tracked vehicle today

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
    Hmm, maybe if you think one million or two was cheap.
    it is...