Quote Originally Posted by nichols
@ Ray,

All good points.....so how would you teach situational awareness? I'm thinking about using an end user modifiable simulation.
Train on mock ups of the type of situations that they troops are to face.

Well, you got to go back to the basics, since everyone thinks he know it all.

Why are things seen? Shape, shadow, shine, silhouette etc etc. The troops must be trained to observe these practically on mock ups of the type pf area they are to operate in. They must also learn how to avoid them.

(one of the things I have seen in the videos of Iraq is that quite a few soldiers cross the road/ open spaces in an ostrich type of huddle. This is dangerous. While they run and cross, they should be looking rapidly all around, while his buddy covers the move. Any movement, glint etc, the man hits the dust by running, crawling, observe and then fire back).

I am not aware of the problems in Iraq, but the problems that they face could be got from the troops there and such type of situation reproduced for troops to be inducted.

Situational awareness will evolve with such practical training.

The more the training, the better the responses.

We have such training facilities and troops are put through their paces before being inducted.

We have dummy bombs, grenades and the works and the person who is slow is "dead"!

To be frank, even it if sound silly, I have observed that repeating the actions sort of drills into the man/ officer a sort of reflex action in the person and the casualties become less. And our body armour is immensely crude and cumbersome compared to yours and yet the reflexes become good!