This video shows the new UK combat shotgun. I believe NZ has adopted a shorter barreled version of the same weapon. The US have had this weapon as a standard now for some years but they still don't seem to be used much at squad level.

What are your thoughts on replacing a rifleman's individual weapon with a hard-kicking short range shotgun? Personally I can't see much of an increase in capability beyond breaching doors and perhaps stopping vehicles with solid slug. I think if I was point man of a patrol I'd prefer an assault rifle any day.

Does a shotty really increase the chance of a hit because of the spread? The spread is not all that great so you still have to aim just the same. And there are already two short-barrelled Minimi's per section. A short burst at short range.....? Or a short burst with an IW (dare I suggest it)?

It's hard to argue the stopping power but that is probably more a discussion about 5.56. I'd hope that the introduction of a whole new weapon is not a round-about way of overcoming that.