Thread: Disarming the Local Population

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Small Wars Project: Disarming the Local Population

I converted Art's thesis, Small Wars Project: Disarming the Local Population, into PDF and placed links from the COIN and SASO sections of the SWJ Reference Library. Additionally, we will convert the thesis into article format for Voume 6 of the SWJ Online Magazine.

Thesis: Disarmament operations are a critical component of security and stability operations (SASO). Despite the frequency and importance of disarmament missions to SASO, limited current guidance exists to aid commanders.

Discussion:

Disarmament operations do not lend themselves to simple checklists for success. The single, most significant factor in predicting a successful disarmament operation is the psychological aspects or perception of security by the local population. In addition, disarmament operations require the careful balance of incentives and punishments through voluntary and coercive methods.

Disarmament operations do not take place in a neutral environment, but inside a complex cultural, religious, historical context. To successfully conduct a disarmament operation, one must understand the role weapons play within the targeted culture. By working within local cultural hierarchies and understanding the cultural terrain, tact and diplomacy are powerful toolsets.

Conclusion:

As Marines continue to conduct disarmament missions worldwide, more detailed guidance is needed so Marines do not have to re-learn the same lessons from conflict to conflict. Disarmament operations will be a central focus of future battlefields. The lessons learned go well beyond Iraq and Afghanistan.

The millions of unaccounted small arms will be a permanent feature on all future threat environments. The proper neutralizations of these weapons is a core tenet of SASO missions and critical to force protection. The absorption of these issues into training and doctrine is essential for Marines to succeed in the wars of the future.

Default Other disarmament scenarios

Dave,

I will try and pen (type) a piece on my experience in the Congo and Rwanda on this issue, especially when third parties (UN, NGOs, smugglers, and other countries) are involved.

Best
    Tom

Default As Always...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom
    Dave,

I will try and pen (type) a piece on my experience in the Congo and Rwanda on this issue, especially when third parties (UN, NGOs, smugglers, and other countries) are involved.

Best
    Tom
    Thanks Tom!