Thread: Disarming the Local Population

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Smile Rwanda

As the Defense Attache in Zaire, I witnessed a massive disarming of the former Rwanda Army as it crossed into Zaire on 17 or 18 July 1994. The Zairian Army (FAZ) was nominally in charge. The former Rwandan Army--some 25-20000 troops came across the border in good column order. They stacked small arms in piles as they did; most of these were taken back to Kinshasa. No vehicle searches or individual searches occurred. Larger weapons (37mm AAA trucks or small Panhard armored cars) systems came through without search.

I reported that the former Army was at best 80% disarmed; my reports were disputed by persons not on the scene. The confiscated weapons were later, I believe, sold back to the reforming Army and militias as they initiated cross border operations back into Rwanda in 1994-1996. Ultimately those operations led to full scale invasion of Zaire/Congo in 1997 by the new Rwandan Army and its clients in Zaire.

This is discussed in detail in my book, Journey into Darkness: Genocide in Rwanda.

I will be happy to answer any further questions you mighty have.

Tom Odom

PS as a student there, you have access to one of the best minds on the Middle East, Dr. Norman Cigar. Norm was a close friend and team member with me on the Army Staff G2 section for the Middle East during Desert Shield and Desert Storm. Don't miss the opportunity to talk to him!
    Last edited by Tom Odom; 11-02-2005 at 02:43 PM.

Default Poc

Just e-mailed you contact info for Col Scott Moore (USMC Ret.). He has worked this issue. Scott is also a member of the SWC...
    Last edited by SWJED; 11-02-2005 at 03:12 PM.