Thread: Influencing and Information Operations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rat View Post
    I don't think you can write off the full panoply of Influence ACtivities and I also think that we (UK Armed Forces plc) remain mired in confusion as to what we want from Influence Activities at all levels; and by staffing (in true British fashion) with sometimes enthusiastic amateurs we do what little we do badly...
    Based on that, I think we can!
    I just re-read The UK COIN Manual, Army Code 71876, 2009. The Chapter on Influence activity is painful. It seems not to understand that the best way to gain support is to win. Support does not create power. Power creates support.
    People come on side when it's clear you are the winning team. That is the only influence you want to have.
    most of us have problems understanding our wives let alone strangers in a foreign culture.
    Amen. So why try and employ the same ideas as you would canvassing for a political party or selling washing powder to warfare?
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition