Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Influencing and Information Operations

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rat View Post
    Correct, although the major failings were at formation HQ level training. At all levels the training and understanding of individuals and teams in Influence Ops was terrible and our ability to harness money as a weapon system correspondingly woeful.
    Please do not tell me that you have brought into Influence Ops. It's twaddle of the worst sort.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Default I don't know that it's twaddle of the worst sort but

I do know from harsh experience they will believe little or nothing you say, take all you offer, ask for more and change little if at all. Many will even change to harden their opposition to you...

Not to mention that your opponents, generally decentralized with far less bureaucracy and no over cautious senior people to placate plus the ability to use terror and intimidation will generally out-influence you...

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    Please do not tell me that you have brought into Influence Ops. It's twaddle of the worst sort.
    There could be a whole different thread starting here...

It depends on what you see Influence Ops being a means to an end or an end in itself. I err towards the role of armed forces being to kill the enemy thereby either solving the issue (you can't have a conflict if one side to the conflict no longer exists) or creating the necessary conditions whereby other organs of state can step in and start to solve the conflict. On that analysis then Influence Ops is a means to an end.

If on the other hand you regard the focused use of violence as one of several 'Influence' tools (the - AQ does Influence Operations with a kinetic element' analysis) then Influence becomes the end in itself with use of force one of the means.

I don't think you can write off the full panoply of Influence ACtivities and I also think that we (UK Armed Forces plc) remain mired in confusion as to what we want from Influence Activities at all levels; and by staffing (in true British fashion) with sometimes enthusiastic amateurs we do what little we do badly...

By Influence Activities/Ops I certainly do not mean that we can apply pressure or inducements with any degree of certainty as to what the 'influencing effect' will be (if x then y); most of us have problems understanding our wives let alone strangers in a foreign culture.
    RR

"War is an option of difficulties"

Default The Current State of Influence and / or Information operations

This thread has been initiated at the suggestion of Red Rat in the Post just above. To start the thread, these two links have some background information:

Information Operations in Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom – What Went Wrong? (.pdf).

Air University Cyberspace and Information Operations Study Center.

Here are links to previous Blog Posts or Threads on the topic from the SWJ Archives:

Here are links to earlier Threads on the topic that are in the Council Archives:

Who's Running the information War.

DoD Strategic Communication Plan for Afghanistan.

Winning the Ground Battles but Losing the Information War

Pentagon Reviewing Strategic Information Operations.

Newest evolution of FM 3-13, Information.

Consider the posts of Wilf, Red Rat and I above and then share your thoughts on coalition ability or lack thereof. Comments from practicing FA 30 and other IO types welcome...
    Last edited by Ken White; 06-14-2010 at 03:46 AM.

If one doesn't understand the role of ideology in insurgency, then they are not likely to understand how to employ information in support of the counterinsurgent either.

Consider:

http://smallwarsjournal.com/blog/jou...p/46-jones.pdf
    Robert C. Jones
    Intellectus Supra Scientia
    (Understanding is more important than Knowledge)

"The modern COIN mindset is when one arrogantly goes to some foreign land and attempts to make those who live there a lesser version of one's self. The FID mindset is when one humbly goes to some foreign land and seeks first to understand, and then to help in some small way for those who live there to be the best version of their own self." Colonel Robert C. Jones, US Army Special Forces (Retired)

I don't think you can write off the full panoply of Influence ACtivities and I also think that we (UK Armed Forces plc) remain mired in confusion as to what we want from Influence Activities at all levels; and by staffing (in true British fashion) with sometimes enthusiastic amateurs we do what little we do badly...
    Based on that, I think we can!
    I just re-read The UK COIN Manual, Army Code 71876, 2009. The Chapter on Influence activity is painful. It seems not to understand that the best way to gain support is to win. Support does not create power. Power creates support.
    People come on side when it's clear you are the winning team. That is the only influence you want to have.
    most of us have problems understanding our wives let alone strangers in a foreign culture.
    Amen. So why try and employ the same ideas as you would canvassing for a political party or selling washing powder to warfare?
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Default Information to counter ideology...

I question whether my subject / title just above isn't an oxymoron. To use the vernacular, Ain't sure you can get there from here. More correctly, I'm unsure the US can get there...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
    If one doesn't understand the role of ideology in insurgency, then they are not likely to understand how to employ information in support of the counterinsurgent either...
    At that link, you list five points to which I provide five counterpoints :
    1. Insurgent ideology is largely disposable, and any particular message is useful only so long as it binds the populace to the cause, and the counterinsurgent is also either unwilling or unable to co-opt it.
    True. However, a third party has little to no leverage in countering the insurgent message for numerous reasons.
    2. The insurgent only has to tell the populace what they want to hear, the counterinsurgent must actually perform in providing the populace what they need.
    Again true; again a third party has little sway in providing the populace of the host nation goods or services or forcing host nation performance.
    3. There are two steps to an effective counter-ideology program:
    -- Compete a superior ideology with the populace in the marketplace of ideas, and
    -- Assess the populace, and co-opt or agree with the insurgent where logical.
    Again true, my comments above apply.
    4. Actions speak louder than words. Ones major operations are their true Strategic Communications, and any official messages to describe those actions will either lend or take credibility based upon their consistency with the public’s perception of the nature of those operations.
    Ah, at last we get to the thread topic, information operations. Again I agree that you are correct -- and one more time, I cite the fact that an intervenor can suggest, assist and provide support of all sorts -- but is unlikely to be able to do the things you suggest.

Specifically, an intervenor will be unable perform actions -- or provide information -- rapidly enough if for no other reason due to the coordination required with the host government.

My question of you, then, is how does an intervening nation arrive at the point of being able to influence the population of the host nation by using the counter actions you list?
    5. U.S. ideology holds that when government fails, insurgency is both the right and the duty of the populace.
    That may be correct in the eyes of some in the US, others may not agree. Regardless, I'm unsure that it has anything to do with Information Operations or is the policy of the US Government...

I do not disagree with the thrust of your linked paper. However, I do not see how the counters you suggest, the examples you provide, apply to our current efforts in Afghanistan. We could apply them if we had a domestic insurgency but we cannot apply them to the insurgencies of others. While I understand the linkage of information operations to counter ideology, I do not understand how the US can apply your prescriptions elsewhere in the world, particularly in nations with significant economic and structural problems.

Further, I question how we, as large, cumbersome and bureaucratic as we are, can ever be expected to succeed in besting a lighter, more decentralized and agile opponent in many facets of information operations. We can certainly outperform many opponents (including the current crew) in some aspects but in the defeat of an ideology, I'm curious to know how you would address our lack flexibility and speed issues?

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
    If one doesn't understand the role of ideology in insurgency, then they are not likely to understand how to employ information in support of the counterinsurgent either.

Consider:

http://smallwarsjournal.com/blog/jou...p/46-jones.pdf
    I'm not quite sure how this fits with the insurgencies we're actually trying to manage today:

Bin Laden, on the other hand, is no Messiah. He uses an ideology infused with religious overtones to rally the populace to rise up for political change for the same reason so many leaders who have gone before him have: it works. The question then for the counterinsurgent, is how to defuse that message without affronting the valid religious beliefs of the very populace whose support, as the true center of gravity in any insurgency, we are battling for.
    I can't see that Bin Laden's ideology has ever inspired any populace anywhere to "rise up for political change". It has inspired small numbers of people to commit and directly support acts of violence, but that's a very differnet thing. The "insurgencies" in Iraq and Afghanistan were not about Bin Laden's message rallying populaces to rise up for political change. They were driven by local narratives and local issues; bin Laden may have used them for his own ends but he and his ideology are beneficiaries, not the cause, of those insurgencies. What message are we actually fighting in Afghanistan? Is it "establish an Islamic caliphate dominated by Wahhabi and/or Deobandi beliefs" or is it "drive the foreigners out of Afghanistan"?

To some extent there is certainly an ideological component to insurgency in Iraq and Afghanistan and Iraq, but the US has no duty, right, or capacity to launch competing ideologies into the local marketplaces of ideas.

In Afghanistan I suspect the core of the ideological battle lies in the struggle to frame the conflict. The US is trying to frame the war as an insurgency, the Taliban fighting to overthrow the Karzai Government with the US "doing FID" in support of the Karzai Government's COIN. The Taliban want to frame the conflict not as an insurgency, but as resistance to foreign occupation: Taliban vs the invaders, us vs them. I'm not at all sure we're winning that particular fight.

Default We need to be like an aging athlete...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    Further, I question how we, as large, cumbersome and bureaucratic as we are, can ever be expected to succeed in besting a lighter, more decentralized and agile opponent in many facets of information operations. We can certainly outperform many opponents (including the current crew) in some aspects but in the defeat of an ideology, I'm curious to know how you would address our lack flexibility and speed issues?
    We need to quit chasing the ball, position ourselves wisely, and allow our opponents to do the majority of the running around. If I am "countering" I am always chasing my opponent. If I am "competing" I am playing my own game, and making him come to me.
    Robert C. Jones
    Intellectus Supra Scientia
    (Understanding is more important than Knowledge)

"The modern COIN mindset is when one arrogantly goes to some foreign land and attempts to make those who live there a lesser version of one's self. The FID mindset is when one humbly goes to some foreign land and seeks first to understand, and then to help in some small way for those who live there to be the best version of their own self." Colonel Robert C. Jones, US Army Special Forces (Retired)

Thumbs up As an aging athlete (or is that aged...)

resolutely opposed to the expenditure of ergs, that makes sense. As OpSec is a component of Information Warfare, I guess we don't need to go into exhaustive detail about ways to do that.

However, there are two non violating questions I'll ask.

How do we balance the need for PsyOps and Info coloration with the need for legitimacy, honesty and more clarity in news releases for both domestic and international consumption?

How do we provide better institutional agility to impede the opponents flexibility advantage?

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    How do we balance the need for PsyOps and Info coloration with the need for legitimacy, honesty and more clarity in news releases for both domestic and international consumption?
    One of the problems we have with things like "info coloration" in disordered environments is that we tend to work through official media, which people in these environments have for the most part ceased to trust. They trust their own networks, variants of the old bush telegraph, and we've little capacity to influence that.

Our info ops often shoot themselves in the proverbial foot by vastly underestimating the sophistication, access to information, and ability to detect BS that prevail among the populace. It's harder to fool people than we sometimes seem to think. I once read a comment (on OEF/Philippines) from an American offcier to the effect that we needed to conduct information ops so that the populace of Basilan would know how cruel the Abu Sayyaf are. That was a bit of a laugh out lou moment: the citizens of Basilan already know all there is to know about the Abu Sayyaf. Many of them know more about the Abu Sayyaf than the CIA does. It's not a big island, and word gets around.

Again re the Philippines, another point from the referenced article that could use clarification... and another example of how our interpretation of information ops can vary with perception.

Recognizing that actions speak louder than words, the current Western message is dominated by our operations in Iraq. One of the most notable aspects of U.S. actions in Operation Enduring Freedom – Philippines, is that because the operations there are so clearly consistent with the West’s message, that it not only sends a powerful Strategic Communication throughout South East Asia, it has also proven to be quite resilient to regular attacks by various Muslim and Philippine media. Applying what is termed the “Indirect Approach,” no U.S. actions are done unilaterally, no U.S. bases have been built, and most importantly, nationalist insurgents are recognized as distinct from terrorist organizations, and all actions, be they counterterrorist or counterinsurgency, are done by, through and with the forces of the government of the Philippines.
    The picture is a bit more complex than that. Attacks on the US presence from the mainstream (Manila-based) media and intelligentsia are dominated by the left, which has little popular credibility; they're loud, but nobody listens. The broader populace in the Christian north views the Muslim populace as an uncontrollable and irretrievably violent blight that needs to be brought under control by the harshest available methods ("it's the only language they understand". This audience is happy to get any possible help and if anything thinks we haven't gone far enough: many would be perfectly delighted to see the US go in en masse and put the boot down.

On the other side, the US presence in Basilan in particular has won widespread approval from the Muslim populace, not because of projects and funds but because of a near universal recognition that Philippine forces are far less abusive when Americans are around. It is fairly ironic that with all the talk of protecting the populace from the insurgents, we have in this case won over much of the populace by protecting them from our allies.

Thumbs up Excellent comments. I particularly agree with three points.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
    ... They trust their own networks, variants of the old bush telegraph, and we've little capacity to influence that.
    That's been my observation -- here and abroad. Or domestically and internationally -- cell phones are neat gadgets.
    Our info ops often shoot themselves in the proverbial foot by vastly underestimating the sophistication, access to information, and ability to detect BS that prevail among the populace. It's harder to fool people than we sometimes seem to think.
    Yep. I've seen that self inflicted wound bit many times in many places. A lot of Americans tend to forget others have been playing their own variations of information games a lot longer than we have. We often come across like marketers or used car sales people, tripping every BS meter for miles around...

They're generally better at our version as well.
    It is fairly ironic that with all the talk of protecting the populace from the insurgents, we have in this case won over much of the populace by protecting them from our allies.
    Not ironic, sad. Basilan is not the first place that's occurred.

Default British Doctrine

When I have sorted out my IT issues and in-tray I will be able to give this thread the time and effort it deserves. In the meantime here is what the current UK COIN doctrine says about the importance of Influence Activities.

The Psychological Dimension : Influence Activity

The need to win and maintain popular support in the theatre of operations and at home is vital to both sides. Gaining and Maintaining Popular Support is a principle of COIN. The idea of ‘popular support’ is acknowledgement that COIN operations have a very strong psychological dimension. All actions taken by military forces, whether or not they involve the use of force, have an effect, and such effects as can be determined require to be considered as plans are drawn up and operations undertaken. In the same way, actions carried out by the enemy require careful consideration so that weaknesses and inconsistencies can be exploited.

The contest for the support of the population provides COIN with its principle distinguishing characteristic; it is concerned primarily with moulding the population’s perceptions. This is a difficult and intangible business. It is one made even more complicated when operating in a country whose culture is not well understood by the intervening forces. It places a premium on developing cultural awareness and maintaining continuity in approach. Each COIN campaign requires an agreed single vision of the future for the host nation that is consistent across any coalition or alliance. The ‘vision’ is a competing narrative, the statement of what the UK with allies and civilian partners is trying to achieve. The narrative should be stronger then the insurgent’s message, should seek to persuade rather than coerce, should emphasise security and development within its text and should be reflected in the UK information strategy.

The narrative is central to the COIN effort. The narrative must be a carefully crafted message which aims to strengthen the legitimacy and build the authority of the indigenous government in the eyes of the population. It has to resonate with the local population, use their words and imagery in a way that taps into deep cultural undercurrents. The narrative aims to convince the people that the indigenous government, supported by international forces and organisations, can deliver a better future in terms of security, justice and material wealth.

It should be assumed that every decision made, every action taken and message published or broadcast shapes the opinion of the indigenous population, the insurgent, allies and the domestic and international audiences. Commanders should focus on shaping perceptions through their activities in the physical, cognitive and information domains.
    RR

The narrative is central to the COIN effort. The narrative must be a carefully crafted message which aims to strengthen the legitimacy and build the authority of the indigenous government in the eyes of the population. It has to resonate with the local population, use their words and imagery in a way that taps into deep cultural undercurrents. The narrative aims to convince the people that the indigenous government, supported by international forces and organisations, can deliver a better future in terms of security, justice and material wealth.
    This is just rubbish. Narratives do not change peoples minds. To assume that a narrative is anything other than the story that informs the political belief is delusional. You do not, and cannot win by having a "better story." That is fatuously optimistic at best.

30 years of violence in Northern Ireland did not change either sides' "narrative." 90 years of violence in Israel/Palestine has never changed or altered either sides "narrative."

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    This is just rubbish. Narratives do not change peoples minds. To assume that a narrative is anything other than the story that informs the political belief is delusional. You do not, and cannot win by having a "better story."
    Narratives in themselves do not change peoples minds. But I view narratives as a means by which the campaign across the lines of operation (LOO) can be articulated and understood. This is the story we want to tell - how can we tell it across the LOOs and do our actions fit into this or are they counter-productive? Then our actions and words develop coherence and people may decide to support us (based on the fact that we are winning and we will make them rich (er).
    RR

But I view narratives as a means by which the campaign across the lines of operation (LOO) can be articulated and understood. This is the story we want to tell - how can we tell it across the LOOs and do our actions fit into this or are they counter-productive?
    So what you are saying is the "Narrative" is the basically the Policy? - the reason why we are "there."
    We put the Policy into a story form so that we can check if it is coherent with the levels of force used and all instruments of power?

So it's a story we tell to ourselves to check we are doing the right thing? OK, that's interesting. How does this have anything to with the merits IO?

Is IO really just stating the policy?

Default In Re: Wilf

In a sense I think yes and more regarding what IO is simply because it involves both internal and external consumption and it is damn near impossible to narrowly deliver info...

So it is in the end about consistency... and if we aren't consistent we cannot expect anyone to believe our sources/networks... along with Red Rat the sum of our activity conveys a message... if I send a foot patrol through town I am making a statement and that statement is nuanced by how the patrol is executed... what is their combat load, how do they interact with the population... I'm not talking about handing out candy because they makes us nice guys... always thought one of the worst decisions in OIF 1 was not sending a significant force through Fallja and Tikrit... nothing like a little discomfort for folks to understand that they don't control their own destinies...

I'm rambling so i'll stop here, but I disagree vehemently with what you call twaddle as a general rule... IO doctrine in US Army is actually moving towards the wholistic consistency viewpoint and less towards messages, tlaking points and the like
    Hacksaw
    Say hello to my 2 x 4

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    So it is in the end about consistency... and if we aren't consistent we cannot expect anyone to believe our sources/networks... along with Red Rat the sum of our activity conveys a message...
    That message is the policy. The other side oppose your policy. Is IO merely the desire for your actions (strategy) to match your message (policy)?
    but I disagree vehemently with what you call twaddle as a general rule... IO doctrine in US Army is actually moving towards the wholistic consistency viewpoint and less towards messages, tlaking points and the like
    OK, so IO doctrine is a good thing? Is that good thing "Information Operations" or "Influence Operations?" - because these are two different things.

Default Now for the twaddle

In most things we are in violent agreement...
    As for which it depends on whose definitions you use and in the case of the US Army it seems torn as to which it will use internally and whether they will remain consistent with joint doctrine or attempt to influence AGAIN the direction that joint doc takes...

I can certainly agree that the tortuous path that this has taken has been... well toruous...

Agree it is what the policy is or what we want the policy to be in the absence of policy

and this is topic in which we can play parlour word games for as long as we wish... I just never thought any of this was NEW... as a division planner I explicitly/in parallel considered the conduct of operations regardless of intensity... if we are conducting an attack to destroy... reduce to the point that the organization can not be reconstituted (well that has an info content to it in terms of the immediate task and subsequent conduct of operations) that is probably coached in terms of defeat...

and if as a planner I'm not thinking in those terms... well I cheated the CDR and the unit
    Hacksaw
    Say hello to my 2 x 4