Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lookin for New Stuff to Read

Default Kaboom

Finished Kaboom: Embracing The Suck In A Savage Little War a few weeks ago. Enjoyed it immensely. Read it because I was an avid follower of his blog until the army pulled the plug. The blog was good enough to get him a book deal after his tour.

Fiction

An Honorable German
    http://www.amazon.com/Honorable-Germ...7946886&sr=1-1

Nonfiction

Always Faithful: A Memoir of the Marine Dogs of WWII
    http://www.amazon.com/Always-Faithfu...7947071&sr=1-1
    "But suppose everybody on our side felt that way?"
    "Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way. Wouldn't I?"

Council Member

New Dawn, The Battles for Fallujah

New Dawn, The Battles for Fallujah
    Richard S. Lowry
    Savas Beatie Publishing 2010
    352 pages including index

I have heard of Richard Lowry, however before "New Dawn" had not the chance to pickup one of his books. After reading this one, I believe it was a huge mistake on my part and I will actively seek out his other works. This book and the stories contained within are amazing. Honestly while reading I could not put this into a definite category - it is the Non-Fiction which reads like a Fiction.
    Available at all the usual places.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant T View Post
    Finished Kaboom: Embracing The Suck In A Savage Little War a few weeks ago. Enjoyed it immensely. Read it because I was an avid follower of his blog until the army pulled the plug. The blog was good enough to get him a book deal after his tour.
    Oh sure force me to go buy another book sigh
    I just hope you can live with yourself.

Council Member

Default Non Fiction or Fiction?

Non Fiction:

The Devil's Butcher Shop by Roger Morris. Try: http://www.amazon.com/Devils-Butcher.../dp/0826310621

There are worse places to be than deployed, all about the New Mexico Prison Riot in 1980. Engrossing. UNM Press keeps it in print.

T. R. Fehrenbach. This Kind of War (title?) (The US in Korea); one of the key readings on why we entered Vietnam with a fairly decent army....See:http://www.amazon.com/This-Kind-War-.../dp/1574882597
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 08-31-2010 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Add links

Quote Originally Posted by Valin View Post
    Oh sure force me to go buy another book sigh
    I just hope you can live with yourself.
    here is a FREE one

the OEF version of On Point is avaliable for download at

Combat Studies Institute

A Different Kind of War: the US Army in OEF Oct 2001-SEP 2005

Transforming an Army at War: Desigining the Modular Force, 1991-2005 by William M. Donnelly.

Yep, the above topic has been discussed a great deal on this site, but when I did a search on this site the author's name did not come up so this book might be an nknown and it might be of interest to some of the members.

A very short read at less then 100 pages. It covers the development of the HBCT, IBCT, and support brigades. Some names mentioned in the book are Generals Schoomaker, Byrnes, Mixon, Sullivan.

Nothing earth shattering, but it does expalin the thought process and requirements imposed on the developers. Key points:

- the new HBCT same/improved lethality and capabilities of legacy BCT

- make five HBCTs out of three legacy brigades (3ID)

- Schoomkaer wanted three maneuver battalion HBCT, but wars in Iraq and Afghanistan made that impossible.

- to meet the lethality and capabilites requirements the legacy three BCT could only expand to four not five.

- much debate about reconnaissance units done by Cav or done by the CABs.

Default Frontiersman in Blue: The U.S. Army and The Indian 1848-1865

I'm reading a number of books right now including Frontiersman in Blue: The U.S. Army and the Indian 1848-1865 by Robert Utley. Good book, but what I have found most interesting is the similarities of the U.S. Cav and their outposts and missions during this time period to the mission of the Army and USMC in Afghanistan and Iraq. Of considerable interest was the description of the Cav mission (page 110) where soldiers did not march west as conquerers, but to serve as policemen. Obviously the book goes on to describe much more then I am willing to go into here.

Quote Originally Posted by gute View Post
    I'm reading a number of books right now including Frontiersman in Blue: The U.S. Army and the Indian 1848-1865 by Robert Utley. Good book, but what I have found most interesting is the similarities of the U.S. Cav and their outposts and missions during this time period to the mission of the Army and USMC in Afghanistan and Iraq. Of considerable interest was the description of the Cav mission (page 110) where soldiers did not march west as conquerers, but to serve as policemen. Obviously the book goes on to describe much more then I am willing to go into here.
    You'll find even more similarities when you read Utley's second book.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War