Thread: Lookin for New Stuff to Read

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Frontiersman in Blue: The U.S. Army and The Indian 1848-1865

I'm reading a number of books right now including Frontiersman in Blue: The U.S. Army and the Indian 1848-1865 by Robert Utley. Good book, but what I have found most interesting is the similarities of the U.S. Cav and their outposts and missions during this time period to the mission of the Army and USMC in Afghanistan and Iraq. Of considerable interest was the description of the Cav mission (page 110) where soldiers did not march west as conquerers, but to serve as policemen. Obviously the book goes on to describe much more then I am willing to go into here.

Quote Originally Posted by gute View Post
    I'm reading a number of books right now including Frontiersman in Blue: The U.S. Army and the Indian 1848-1865 by Robert Utley. Good book, but what I have found most interesting is the similarities of the U.S. Cav and their outposts and missions during this time period to the mission of the Army and USMC in Afghanistan and Iraq. Of considerable interest was the description of the Cav mission (page 110) where soldiers did not march west as conquerers, but to serve as policemen. Obviously the book goes on to describe much more then I am willing to go into here.
    You'll find even more similarities when you read Utley's second book.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War