Thread: The Quote of the Day, Year, maybe the Afghan War

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What are "leggins"?

Default Gaiters -- of a sort...

Quote Originally Posted by Infanteer View Post
    What are "leggins"?
    Leggings, The US Army wore them, in olive green canvas until late 1944, the Marines kept them in khaki canvas until until 1953. This pic is from Okinawa, 1945, lead guy is a Navy Medical Corpsman, the rest may be Marines, uniform in the field is the same. Note some have the trousers tucked in the Leggings, others do not, typical of Marines in combat -- though not in peacetime.

The North Koreans called the Marines 'Yellow Legs' because the Marine leggings were khaki canvas and with good Korean mud, tuned a putrid yellow. The slow and sloppy bit is true, it was a favorite Marine trick in Korea. That's where I learned that if you look and act like you know what you're doing, you significantly cut the number of enemy initiated contacts.
    Last edited by Ken White; 10-27-2011 at 01:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    Leggings. The US Army wore them, in olive green canvas until late 1944, the Marines kept them in khaki canvas until until 1953.
    My dad had a pair of these that lasted until the middle 1960s. My initial issue boots from 1977 are still going strong, probably because I rarely wore them because they were hard to shine.