Steve Blair, yes i could tell from your posts that you new alot about the cavalry. I am abig fan of the air cav as it was supposed to be but never was. I met General James Gavin at his house before he died and had a long discussion with him about the air cav and his theory of there use in COIN. He actually called them "sky" cavalry. He was President Kennedy's ambassador to France because he new DeGaulle form ww2 and had many contacts with the French army during the Algiers situation. Sadly his theory has never been tried completely. He so opposed the war in Vietnam he turned down chief of staff after General Maxwell.

He was friends with Sen. Fulbright and had him start hearings on the war in about 1966 I think. I have read the transcript of the hearings, he wanted to try the Enclave Strategy with Forts to let the people INSIDE the fort and separate the vc from them. He would use the Air Cav to chase them down and kill or capture them or put them on RESERVATIONS and try to change their beliefs and join the good guys. Any way do you have any research papers you can share??

Tom Odom, thanks for help with the links I was out there in Cyber Space and I got lost. As a former fire team and squad leader in the 82nd I very much agree with a three fire team squad. Tom didn't you know Fullbright?? The transcript of the hearings was revealing to say the least.