Thread: Afghanistan: Canadians in Action

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Canada and Afghanistan

From CBC.ca

Document outlines Canada's military plans in Afghanistan
    Last Updated: Monday, January 29, 2007 | 7:49 AM ET
    CBC News

The Canadian military effort in Afghanistan will be complete when Afghan security forces are established and the Afghan government gains full control of the area, says a new document from the military's chief of defence staff.

The document — authored by Gen. Rick Hillier and obtained recently by CBC News —stated that the military's job in Afghanistan is considered successful and completed:

* when new Afghan security forces "are established" and "fully controlled" by the Afghan government.
    * when those forces are trained and can conduct their own "counter-insurgency operations."
    * when the forces can defend against foreign fighters and "effectively control borders."
    * and when "terrorist groups are denied sanctuary within Afghanistan."

The military plan is achievable, but not in the short term, said Rob Huebert, a military analyst at the University of Calgary's Centre for Military and Strategic Studies.

More...
    CBC also has the results of the latest poll on Canada's involvement in Afghanistan (Nov 2006) available here.

Marc
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Default Afghan War Takes a Toll on Canada

Today's LA Times - Afghan War Takes a Toll on Canada.

In the wind-scoured high desert that was once the heartland of the Taliban movement, the will and determination of a little-heralded American ally have been undergoing a harsh test.

For the last six months, the task of confronting insurgents in volatile Kandahar province in southern Afghanistan has largely fallen to Canada, whose troops have participated in myriad peacekeeping missions in recent years but had not seen high-intensity combat since the Korean War.

Although its nearly 3,000 troops account for less than 10% of the allied forces in Afghanistan, Canada absorbed nearly 20% of the coalition's combat deaths last year, losing 36 soldiers...

The deployment is a strain for military families. Moreover, the Canadian mission points up the stresses and strains caused by unequal burden-sharing within the North Atlantic Treaty Organization...

Another one of the CBC backgrounders

Atlantic Canada's role
    Last Updated Jan. 29, 2007
    CBC News

With snow blowing around their heads and settling on their boots, more than 2,000 family members and friends of Atlantic Canadian soldiers lifted red placards over their heads hoping to form the largest human flag ever made.

The crowd, which gathered at CFB Gagetown on Jan. 12, just one week before the first planeload of soldiers was set to depart for the conflict in Afghanistan, wanted to show support for the 1,160 troops from the Atlantic region joining the NATO-led mission.

The deployment also contains a large group of reservists - approximately 240 Atlantic Canadian volunteers - who have put their professional and personal lives on hold to join the conflict.

More...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

Council Member

Default Go Canada

Marc, I think the Canadian effort in Afghanistan has been first rate and your countrymen need to know that it is appreciated. I think we may be able to find work for these guys in a football game card section when they get back. Go Canada.

Default Canada's Involvement

Hi Marc !

4. I would like to know how you feel about Canada's involvements around the world in the last several decades. Please tell me if you are proud or not proud of each of the following: a) Canada's involvement in United Nations peace-building operations around the world since World War Two?
    Proud 92%
    I remember crossing the Zairian/Rwandan border with Tom. I don't recall how many clicks later once in Rwanda, but we came along a Canada patrol with a 113 APC. Something like night and day when we first came across the French (they didn't have an APC) they didn't have much of a sense of humor. I think I impressed them with my "Belgian" french though

I'm glad your public is behind your military. I liked their attitude in Rwanda and most importantly, their professionalism.

Yes, Marc, that would be a compliment !

Quote Originally Posted by Merv Benson View Post
    Marc, I think the Canadian effort in Afghanistan has been first rate and your countrymen need to know that it is appreciated. I think we may be able to find work for these guys in a football game card section when they get back. Go Canada.
    It's a weird situation in some ways. We have a lot of the politicians disparaging what we are doing, but there has been a lot of spontaneous public support. A lot of the people who you would normally think of as "left wingers" actually support our involvement in Afghanistan, and a larger number would probably support us if there was a deployment in strength to Darfur.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Reber View Post
    I'm glad your public is behind your military. I liked their attitude in Rwanda and most importantly, their professionalism.

Yes, Marc, that would be a compliment !
    Thanks, Stan .

Marc
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University