Thread: Insurgency vs. Civil War

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Slap,

Your point is interresting cause according to Bourdieu and his theory on social class relations, what characterises politic is actually the use of "symbolic violence" between social classes. According to him, you have a dialog breakdown, that can lead to war (including riots, insurgencies, civil war...), when at least one social group/class feels it cannot use symbolic violence to express his self and then swich to real/physical violence as a dialog tool.

But we stay in the boundaries set by Clausewitz: war is politic made by other means.
    While some deconstruction theory guys would argue that politic is war made by other means...

Quote Originally Posted by M-A Lagrange View Post
    Slap,

Your point is interresting cause according to Bourdieu and his theory on social class relations, what characterises politic is actually the use of "symbolic violence" between social classes. According to him, you have a dialog breakdown, that can lead to war (including riots, insurgencies, civil war...), when at least one social group/class feels it cannot use symbolic violence to express his self and then swich to real/physical violence as a dialog tool.

But we stay in the boundaries set by Clausewitz: war is politic made by other means.
    While some deconstruction theory guys would argue that politic is war made by other means...
    Exactly, you said it a lot better than I did!

I posted this on another thread but it has some merit here I think. It's the "Leaders Handbook To Unconventional Warfare" by a LTC in the Green Beret's. It is based on the old school thinking which is pretty much the way I learned it, but sometimes old turns out to be new.

http://www.soc.mil/swcs/swmag/Assets...de%20Final.pdf