Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Insurgency vs. Civil War

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Economic example- My bank says that my savings account has $10000. Does the bank physically have my money on hand? No. They've reinvested it into loans, bonds, stocks, etc...If I go and ask for my money, then no problem. If everyone makes a run on the bank, then big problem.
    Mike:

Feel free to send me some of that illusionary money in your bank anytime.
    They mostly come at night. Mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Brynen View Post
    Mike:

No kidding!
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Smile One of us has fallen into a trap.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
    I have a bit of trouble defining a combined arms force of over 200K as an insurgent one. I think you fall into the trap of defining insurgency as anything Mao described. The Maoist approach was to use insurgency to prepare for conventional war.

I'll stick to my point that insurgency is a strategy, and a given protagonist may shift in and out of it. I think we befuddle ourselves when we try and define insurgency by its political objectives. We just can't transcend our obsession with the Cold War security environment.
    Agree with your last sentence completely, but will hold firm that insurgency is a state of populace perception about governance rather than a strategy employed by a civil war movement. surging to that large decisive conventional force was always the goal of the Vietnamese insurgency, just as it was always the goal of Mao himself in China. That is probably, in fact, the key distinction of Maoist insurgency, the goal of achieving decisive effects through large scale conventional military operations. Most probably think it is the communist ideology he employed.

Most insurgencies take many forms, and the form does not define them. It is in their formation that one fines the insights that enable effective COIN.
    Last edited by Bob's World; 06-25-2010 at 03:23 PM.
    Robert C. Jones
    Intellectus Supra Scientia
    (Understanding is more important than Knowledge)

"The modern COIN mindset is when one arrogantly goes to some foreign land and attempts to make those who live there a lesser version of one's self. The FID mindset is when one humbly goes to some foreign land and seeks first to understand, and then to help in some small way for those who live there to be the best version of their own self." Colonel Robert C. Jones, US Army Special Forces (Retired)

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Brynen View Post
    Rex/Steve,

I've got 1,000,000 Iraqi dinars ready to transfer. Should buy you a cup of coffee .

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Rex/Steve,

I've got 1,000,000 Iraqi dinars ready to transfer. Should buy you a cup of coffee .

Mike
    So long as it's not Starbucks, you're on!
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
    Steve;

Actually S. Vietnam DID fall to insurgency. We tend to put way too much emphasis on the fact that a bunch of Westerners broke off a chunk of Vietnam in the middle of the insurgency and created this tremendous sanctuary for the insurgency called "North Vietnam."
    So why was the communist north created? If it wasn't because of poor governance by the south, then how could it be considered an insurgency, especially since the Vietminh were around before the partition and the creation of the RVN? Or, why can't the opposite case be made - that North Vietnam successfully fought off an insurgency from the south?

Similarly, what about the Koreas? Do we consider North Korea to be "insurgents" against the South? Or Germany before reunification? That doesn't make much sense. For all practical purposes, North Vietnam and South Vietnam were distinct states and one of those states conquered the other through conventional means. That the North also fostered an insurgency in the South (which ultimately failed) doesn't, it seems to me, make the entire conflict an insurgency.
    Supporting "time-limited, scope limited military actions" for 20 years.

This also doesn't really take into account the social and cultural differences between the north and south (and even some ethnic differences). No, I'd say Vietnam actually runs closer to the civil war side of things.

Staying away from Vietnam, how would you folks classify the Thirty Years War (outside of exceedingly messy)?
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Not one of my big areas of expertise, but I would say that it began as something like an insurgency based on religion (with the inevitable cultural overtones) and then grew into a civil war and finally became a world war (of sorts, anyhow).

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair View Post
    Not one of my big areas of expertise, but I would say that it began as something like an insurgency based on religion (with the inevitable cultural overtones) and then grew into a civil war and finally became a world war (of sorts, anyhow).
    Could be, I honestly have no idea how to classify it using any of the current terms. "A great mutherin' mess" still seems to be the best classification for it .

In more on point terms, it appears to have had elements of insurgency, succession rebellion (e.g. Bohemia), various and sundry religious revolts / counter-revolts, inter-state warfare, military entrepreneurs becoming "legitimate" (e.g. Wallenstein), plus, plus, plus, as well as being a civil war in the HRE.

OTOH, another reason I brought it up is that the treaties that ended it are the foundation of the modern state system and, hence, a lot of our current definitions. Given that, it may be a useful case to look at to see if those definitions still make sense.
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

I went with my escalation definition because it seems to me to make the most sense based on my conception of both insurgency and civil war. And I do think that, as you pointed out, you can have an insurgency going on within a civil war (depending on the territory in question). I honestly don't see most of these things as being as cut and dried as we might prefer. But then again, I also don't see the Indian Wars as being insurgencies, either....

Council Member

Default "North Vietnam" was created ...

at the very end of WWII in 1945 by what they (Ho, Giap, etc.) called the August Revolution. To them, they created the Democratic Republic of Vietnam (the entire country - not just North Vietnam). They claimed governmental legitimacy from the August 25, 1945 abdication of Bao Dai in favor of Ho's government.

The Viet Minh had to deal with four foreign military occupiers during the 1945-1946 period: Japanese, Chinese, British and French. The Viet Minh and the French reached tentative agreements in 1946, which accepted French military forces in both the South and the North (replacing the other occupiers), but also recognized Ho's government. The French-VM accord blew up in the later half of 1946 and the First Indochina War ensued.

The position of Ho-Giap was that that war was the Resistence War - seeing France as a foreign invader with the restored Bao Dai as France's puppet. When that war ended in VM success, the Hanoi government was willing to allow a partition so that it could secure its base areas in the North. It had no intention of limiting itself to the North and its constitutions made clear that the DRV encompssed all of Vietnam.

Diem surprisingly survived and to some extent thrived in 1955-1959, with the US replacing France as South Vietnam's patron. Having completed their build-up of their Northern base areas, the Hanoi government re-instituted the Resistence War (using more of a neo-colonialist theme, and setting up the NLF as its front in the south).

The NLF guerrillas and cadres in the South (augmented by PAVN regulars) were therefore, in the Ho-Giap view, a typical resistence force looking forward to the day when it could achieve final juncture with the North's conventional forces. In short, Hanoi was waging unconventional warfare in the South against a quasi-foreign invader army.

Giap tried to effect a closing juncture in 1965, 1968, 1972 and 1975 (with final success). By that time, ARVN had committed half of its strength to baby sitting its pacification effort in rural areas (which saw some success before the final deluge).

So, what was Indochina-Vietnam in the South - an insurgency, civil war, resistence war, unconventional war with a conventional ending or something else ? Did and does it make a difference in what it's called ?

Regards

Mike

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
    Staying away from Vietnam, how would you folks classify the Thirty Years War (outside of exceedingly messy)?
    Good question!

One theme I'm getting from the discussion here is that people are classifying based on three rough criteria:

1. Classification based on how the conduct of the conflict - ie. guerrilla warfare vs "conventional" warfare.

2. Classification based on the actor's intent or "why they are fighting."

3. Classification based on the actor's type of organization- ei. nation states, tribes, etc.

One problem that makes the 30 years war difficult to classify is that today we base our interpretations of conflict around #3 - the nation state as the "standard" political entity. If two states are in conflict, then it is "war." If the conflict occurs within the borders of what we call a state, then it is civil war/insurgency. So, as long as we put the state at the top of the organizational hierarchy, I don't think we will be able to "fit" many types of conflict, including the 30-years war, into a war/civil war/insurgency construct.

Of course, Wilf will come in and remind us again that these classifications are arbitrary and largely useless because war is war.

Mike,

My point exactly - why can't South Vietnam be viewed as the "insurgents" against the North? This goes back to my earlier point that these classifications are often self-referential.
    Supporting "time-limited, scope limited military actions" for 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    One theme I'm getting from the discussion here is that people are classifying based on three rough criteria:

1. Classification based on how the conduct of the conflict - ie. guerrilla warfare vs "conventional" warfare.

2. Classification based on the actor's intent or "why they are fighting."

3. Classification based on the actor's type of organization- ei. nation states, tribes, etc.
    Nice summation, Entropy! Okay, what if we use these three classification, what, "dimensions(?), as the basis for defining a set of boundary conditions and see where that takes us? So,

1. the "How" a conflict is conducted would be tactical and grand tactical (yeah, I use the older system; so sue me ). That "how" or, rather, a group / factions selection of a given "how" at a point in time, should be conditioned by a number of different factors such as technology, social organization, time, ideology, cultural mores. As such, we might want to refer to insurgency / COIN as an "operational" (grand tactical) choice amongst a variety of others such as "conventional", "raising political awareness" (a la Mao), subversion, popular demonstrations, terrorist strikes, counter-terrorism, etc.

2. the "Why" question is a lot "fuzzier" in some ways, but I would suggest it gets back to two core areas: competing narratives / systems and competing faction placement (dynastic wars or which general runs banana republic X this week?). I *think* that this is a more strategic and grand strategic level, and definitely more in line with questions of legitimacy, governance, strat comm, etc.

3. The organizational type question should also feed back into both the first and second types, and is probably the critical one in terms of international law (Mike?). That said, I suspect that it is also the least important in operational terms except inasmuch as it produces operational limitations. The other thing is that if we want to produce a model like this, we would probably have to decompose organizational type into sub-characteristics such as resource control, governance, force "reach" (possibly further sub-divided by battlespace?), etc.

Leaving off how useful this might be for generating definitions, especially by spotting definitional "holes" and overlaps, I think that this might also get to Bob's point about it having some practical use.
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Senior Research Fellow,
    Carleton University

Council Member

Default Yes, Entropy,

we are on the same page:

Mike,

My point exactly - why can't South Vietnam be viewed as the "insurgents" against the North? This goes back to my earlier point that these classifications are often self-referential.
    So, let's then look at Giap's strategy as a counter-insurgency strategy (rather than an "insurgency" strategy), which was quite different from the conventional "clear-hold-build" COIN strategy.

In fact, it was the reverse:

1. build - establish the guerrillas and political cadres (ongoing from 1959 on a generally increasing basis).

2. hold - secure base areas (well accomplished, with some assistance from Kissinger, by the 1973 Paris Accords).

3. clear - achieve juncture of unconventional and conventional forces after causing dispersal of ARVN forces (success in 1975).

In a sense, Jim Gant has suggested something similar without citing Giap.

Regards

Mike

Of course, if we ignore Marc and focus on Vietnam, this could also take on a different aspect. SVN was never really heavily controlled by either the French or the Viet Minh (it wasn't as settled as the north, for one, and lacked the industrial base), and the traditional "seat" of Vietnamese government had been in the center of the country (Hue). So looking at local realities, it doesn't become as simple as a Northern counterinsurgency against the South. Much of SVN was something of a recent acquisition in historical terms, and the people there had developed different cultural patterns and dialects than their northern "cousins." Plus you had certain indigenous populations added to the mix as well.

Still, the Entropy/Mike angle is an interesting one, and might provide some insight into possible reasons for some of Giap's decisions and outlooks.

Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post
    1. build - establish the guerrillas and political cadres (ongoing from 1959 on a generally increasing basis).

Mike
    Yes,Yes,Yes that is exactly what we did when I went through the "One Minute Guerrilla Warfare Course" this was basic Special Warfare, which we seem to have forgotten and it can be done very fast as Operation Jawbreaker proved (we left out demobilization)as well as several others during the Ike administration. We had one bad one "Bay Of Pigs" and then went off on the COINISM theory.
    Last edited by slapout9; 06-25-2010 at 07:43 PM. Reason: from coin/cocaine to coinism

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmleigh View Post
    All-
    I am looking for some assistance trying to differentiate between insurgencies and civil wars. I have already read most of the literature on the benchmarks necessary to meet the international standard for a civil war, I am more interested in what the community thinks about the differences between the two. Academic sources would be helpful, but I am just as inclined to read your opinions as well. I appreciate any assistance you all can provide.

See my answer in this post HERE. Should confuse matters. Bottom line there is no CLEAR way to cleanly separate insurgency from civil war, in an academic sense. The real answer looks more like a Venn diagram depending on when/where you want to assess your case.
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?

Quote Originally Posted by John T. Fishel View Post
    Ryan--

All civil wars are insurgencies if by insurgency we mean an effort to overturn a govt and replace it with another by armed means. Not all insurgenies are civil wars. If the govt is some external power or a clearly defined different group. Thus, the ANC insurgency against the RSA was not a civil war because both Afrikaners and Africans defined themselves as different peoples. Of course, the outcome was to redefine all S Africans as one people. And, I left off the Anglo S. Africans. so, perhaps, it was a civi war after all.

Cheers

JohnT

IMO that is about the best definition you can get. I would add if it is two opposing groups of "citizens"(legal residents) inside the same Geographic boundary or country, it will usually be viewed as Civil War. But as John points out whenever an External power/group "non-citizens" comes into the picture it will tend to be called an Insurgency.

The very term Insurgency is rather nebulous because it often depends on the viewpoint you have as to who is the good guy or bad guy. I have often thought that term was invented because it is more Politically acceptably to use that term as opposed to calling it some type of War(Civil or Un-Civil).
    Last edited by slapout9; 06-26-2010 at 04:00 AM. Reason: stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    So why was the communist north created? If it wasn't because of poor governance by the south, then how could it be considered an insurgency, especially since the Vietminh were around before the partition and the creation of the RVN? Or, why can't the opposite case be made - that North Vietnam successfully fought off an insurgency from the south?

Similarly, what about the Koreas? Do we consider North Korea to be "insurgents" against the South? Or Germany before reunification? That doesn't make much sense. For all practical purposes, North Vietnam and South Vietnam were distinct states and one of those states conquered the other through conventional means. That the North also fostered an insurgency in the South (which ultimately failed) doesn't, it seems to me, make the entire conflict an insurgency.
    Ike's assessment, in '56 I believe, was that if an open election was conducted that Ho would have taken some 80% of the popular vote nation-wide. Now, if we had still been proponents of Self-Determination in '56 we would have said "excellent, the people know what they want and by helping them achieve it we will have an ally and have stayed true to our ideals." But of course, the Dulles boys and Ike were well on the path of a new strategy rooted in control of nations on the fringes of Communist China and Russia to help contain that threat. So instead of allowing a pure execution of democratic principles to allow a self-determination of governance that would have made the whole of Vietnam a communist state (perceived reasonably as a "loss" for our team).

Lansdale was already hard at work on the ground in the south working to make Diem into a Magsaysay (which he never was); and we began a concerted effort to slow-roll the election and prop up our illegitimate puppet in order to sustain the false division of "North" and "South" states; knowing that an election would have merged the nation as one under a communist Ho.

Faced with the loss of "Hope" in the blocked access to legal means of changing governance, along with the "Injustice” and "Disrespect" of the same, and the externally provided "Illegitimate" governance of Diem; the insurgency that had been waged against the French picked up steam once again; this time with Ho having the legal sanctuary of a State in North Vietnam to help support and sustain his pursuit of classic Maoist insurgency.

Point being, the machinations of governments do not determine if a movement is an insurgency or not. It is the roots within the populace that determine the nature of it.

Our national pride, coupled with the fear of the expansion of communist ideology, led us to make decisions counter to our national ethos, and embroiled us in an otherwise wholly avoidable conflict. We should learn from this experience. The best COIN is done well in advance of a situation going kinetic, and because we did not appreciate that fact we adopted policies that were largely responsible for what followed.

Korea was a very different situation altogether. I doubt very much that the leadership of the North was the governance desired by the populace of the South; and I doubt very much that the Governance of the North and their Chinese backers would have been willing to sit down with the Governance of the South and their American backers and agree to some nation-wide process of self-determination and everyone agreeing to live by the same. So it began with two states already formed. I would tend to put this then into my civil war category with traditional warfare then being a valid technique for resolving the conflict.

Just my take.
    Robert C. Jones
    Intellectus Supra Scientia
    (Understanding is more important than Knowledge)

"The modern COIN mindset is when one arrogantly goes to some foreign land and attempts to make those who live there a lesser version of one's self. The FID mindset is when one humbly goes to some foreign land and seeks first to understand, and then to help in some small way for those who live there to be the best version of their own self." Colonel Robert C. Jones, US Army Special Forces (Retired)