Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Destroying Tar Opium

We used to just soak it in diesel fuel. It would either burn, or soaking it in diesel fuel would make it unsalable.

We never returned to a cache soaked in diesel fuel to find it cleaned out, or attempts made to make it salable.

What happens to the mixture once the diesel is introduced? Does it become a slurry?

Quote Originally Posted by jcustis View Post
    What happens to the mixture once the diesel is introduced? Does it become a slurry?
    I suppose that depends. The majority of the opium we found was already a "slurry" as it was high in moisture content. Diesel appears to be a decent opium solvent though, and from what I hear (not having come back long enough later to observe for myself) continues to break down the opium with time.

Do you have WP? That will get your diesel/opium mix going pret darned well.

As one of the previous posters said, you really, really ought to check with your DEA rep, or the CPEF folks in Helmand. You should have reps from both of them in Lashkar Gah, unless things have changed a lot. You mentioned that 'this would usually fall into the RFI category....', I guess I'm wondering if you submitted it as an RFI through your O&I channels?

Also, I definitely agree - interdiction is a much better CN strategy than eradication. I'd think you'd agree, if you're down in Registan/Rh*no area - far easier to interdict than try to manually eradicate. The farmers in Helmand sell their crops a season in advance - if we eradicate their crop, the narcos almost always get money's worth. Sometimes that means taking a child across into Pakistan and selling it into the human sex slave trade. Nasty business. Interdiction allows them to get paid, absolves them of responsibility for what happens next when you and the MAGTF hit the shipment, and gives them time to gradually transition to other crops.

As one of the previous posters said, you really, really ought to check with your DEA rep, or the CPEF folks in Helmand. You should have reps from both of them in Lashkar Gah, unless things have changed a lot. You mentioned that 'this would usually fall into the RFI category....', I guess I'm wondering if you submitted it as an RFI through your O&I channels?
    The unit before us had a huge seizure and did just that. The answers they got didn't cut the mustard, based on practical experience of attempting to work a burn with an earlier seizure.

As I think about your point, there may be some merit in inquiring one more time.

Default Moderator at work

The RFI aspects have now abated and a wider discussion has followeed here on the drugs problem in Afghanistan, so I have moved x25 posts to the existing thread on the issues: http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...?t=1234&page=6

I will also move this thread to the RFI chapter.

Thank you all for the help we have offered Jon in his "hot seat".
    davidbfpo

Default Tar Kettles On Wheels

Can burn drugs,tar for roofs, asphalt for road patches. It's on wheels probably get a Marine Corps discount.

http://www.roofingkettles.com/
    Last edited by slapout9; 07-02-2010 at 03:46 PM. Reason: stuff

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    The RFI aspects have now abated and a wider discussion has followeed here on the drugs problem in Afghanistan, so I have moved x25 posts to the existing thread on the issues: http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...?t=1234&page=6

I will also move this thread to the RFI chapter.

Thank you all for the help we have offered Jon in his "hot seat".
    Yes, thank you gentlemen. I have a number of tools to try out, and trust it will only be a matter of time before we get the chance to experiment!