Quote Originally Posted by Rhodesian View Post
Thank you for the replies.

30mm? Yes very nice, but I need close support on a cheap aircraft that won't kill me too. And anything closer than 5 meters and I presume the Techie is now shooting at me . . . I don't like the quad on a K-car, its a great shredder, it mows everything, very nice when mowing is required, otherwise a pin point 20mm shell will do.
He means the 30mm cannon on the Apache not that on the A-10. Which I would think is more accurate than the hand-aimed 20mm on an Alouette. They do apparently though often have problems penetrating compound walls.

Casevac: No complaints about casevac times? . . mmmmm . . . probably because the comparison has never been made. I still go for 7 minutes and out, with a fully trained combat medic from my own Stick (but bring the nurse too if I need kissing better)
AFAIK all or at least most ISAF ground patrols have a medic with them. Casevac is (in Helmand at least) typically by RAF Chinook or USAF HH-60, both of which when used in that role carry very highly-trained medical teams with them. As for times I couldn't comment.

I think we've already highlighted a problem: A tendency to want “tools” that go far beyond our requirements – too expensive, to costly to run, too high maintenance, over-kill. Keep it simple.
Yes there is certainly a tendency to unnecessarily "gold-plate" kit these days. There has been talk of the USAF acquiring a turboprop light attack aircraft, possibly the Super Tucano. I believe it has gotten as far as suppliers being asked to submit proposals. There have been various arguments for and against this idea...it remains to be seen whether it happens or not.