Thread: Moving the Rhod. Fire Force concept to Afghanistan?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rat View Post
    What was the balance between the FireForce being Proactive and Reactive? I have never done airmobile but the FireForce concept sounds like Combined Arms (Air) Manoeuvre in concept, I am intrigued by the tasking of it however. In UK doctrine a QRF or ARF (Airborne Reaction Force) is reactive, whereas I get the impression that that distinction was not necessarily the case with the FireForce.

IMHO part of the problem, certainly for UK elements in AFG, is that they are essentially fixed in ground holding roles and have very little capability at BG and Bde level to manouevre. Whether it is done by air, land (or sea ) the ability to maintain an uncommitted reserve and manoeuvre force at the time and place of your chosing is one of the fundamentals.
    Suddenly there were three pages, sorry.

I can say that somewhere between 80-90% were proactive if that means a fire force call out being initiated from a sighting from an OP, camp identification by air recce, or by pseudo gang all unbeknown to the insurgents. The balance would be responding to troops in contact, vehicles being ambushed etc.

Are you familiar with the JOC system we used? Each Brigade HQ was a JOC (Joint Operations Command) which had Army, police, Air Force and Internal Affairs reps. These JOCs normally sat at airfields where the FF sat.

Siren would sound and Officers and pilots to the Ops room. Briefing held (shorter or longer depending on the circumstances) and then tally-ho the fox.

Sometimes when there was something brewing we would get called for regular updates until the word GO was given.

Troops wise we used a RLI Commando (company strength in Rhodesia) on a fire force (normally) who based at the airfield. From this force certain patrolling tasks (mostly external) were given to best utilize the troops.

IMHO opinion in a fire force type operation it is as important to train and special the troops as it is for same with the Airborne Commanders and pilots.

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    Suddenly there were three pages, sorry.
    Why sorry? There is actually some useful stuff here.
    IMHO opinion in a fire force type operation it is as important to train and special the troops as it is for same with the Airborne Commanders and pilots.
    I can agree with that for parachuting but I don't see why if you are just using helicopters.
    I locked horns with Parachute Regiment Major a few years back who tried to convince me that working with helicopters "was not a pick-up and run game." I cannot see how?
    It takes about an hours to do an aircraft safety brief, and practice emplaning and deplaning. - and all infantry do it.
    IF needed:
    Fast roping can be done in a day. Ground to air signalling brief in another. - 2.5 days worth of skills and drills. Sound right?
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition