Thread: Putting the D in METT-TC

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Thanks Steve,

I don't live too far from Fort Drum, NY and the 10th MD, One of the 10MD's connected Army Reserve/NG units is a reserve rifle Company about 5 miles from my home. They are in Catskill, NY. They wear the 10MD patch and the 1st ID patch, having served with both units in combat over the past 9 years.

I know a couple of thier NCO's and am impressed with thier attitude and ability.

The quality shines thru and this unit doesn't have any problem attracting new recruits and picks up a few former regular Army types with time in Iraq or Afgahnistan now and again.

Growing confidence at the squad and platoon level must start at the squad level.

You have solid volunteers, especially those who volunteer for Army and Marine enlistments. And I suspect, a lot of your young officers and nco's have proven themselves in their deployments.

The first Marine Regimental MTU to Afgahnistan had close to 40% of its number who were on their 2nd or 3rd deployments. I believe those young officers and NCO's pass o a lot of experience in the train up peroid the whole Regiment cycled through before heading to the Hindu Kush.

The Army should have the same intermix of combat veterans and recruits. Is this benefiting the quality of your line companies and their leaders, or not?

I realize, for the most part I'm preaching to the Choir, but sometimes nudge towards the basics is a good thing.

MikeF - Thanks for starting this thread, as I believe it will add to the positive and decrease the negative by focusing on the small units needs and wants.
    Last edited by RJ; 06-28-2010 at 04:53 PM.