you started a threat on lawfare in law enforcement section.
The description given by Slap was:Lawfare describes a method of warfare where law is used as a means of realizing a military objective.

Secondly, there is actually a "law school" or "law approach" for its application that is being developed in Germany that is based on a descrimination between citizen and criminal and non citizen.
I am actually travelling so it's difficult for me to give you links but I am refering to a book from Didier Bigo: au nom du 11 septembre (in the name of 9/11) and to several articles published on the subject in the review culture et conflit (culture and conflicts). Many articles are in english.
The exemple given by a german lawyer in the book was the use of "torture" by the police to track a sexual criminal. The reason given were exactly the one given by the French during Algeria war: lake of time, need of information, a sexual criminal is no more part of the community of human...

So I was wondering if that re enforcement of the patriot act was based on:
1) the idea to use law to realise military objective (that seems obvious but...)
2) this could be used as a jurice prudence to introduce such notions as a distinction between citizen and non citizen or a los of basic rights for individuals being "involved" in terrorist or considered as terrorist support.

I do not doubt of you Mike,but I am and keep on being worried by the impact of misuse, at home, of COIN on civil legal system. Especially as I mentioned previously as the label terrorist or insurgent did open doors to legal dark rooms in the past, specially in Europe.