Newly minted infantry LT here (yea, yea, save your cracks ) and I've been noticing that almost all of our training has been focused on the basic battle drill. I can't find any fault in this since it is our bread and butter, but I also can't help but noticing we've learned very little else, and my impression is that I'm going to be working a great deal with the Afghans. While I've certainly had to teach before, it's never been under such strained conditions and through the barrier of an alien culture.

Thus, I'd like to know if anyone has any good advice, stories, or references in terms of training the indigenous forces. Now, I'm not looking to become SF (yet, anyway), but I have to figure there's got to be some more practical points learned out there besides research your guys, respect cultural differences and demonstrating respect/friendliness.

As a note, I have read the recent PDF "A Time for Sergeants" by the staff. I found it useful, but frustratingly lacking in terms of any ideas in execution.

I also noted they specifically said to organize the Afghans like we would ourselves...yet I've been taught that violates basic COIN principals since why would you try to pattern a 3rd world defense/police force after 1st world expeditionary force that's still largely designed to take on conventional militaries?