Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stolen Valor Act Unconstitutional ?

Council Member

Default Stolen Valor Act Unconstitutional ?

The SWJ Blog reported this yesterday, Stolen Valor Act Unconstitutional (Denver Post article). Here is Judge Blackburn's opinion.

The judge is a Bush 43 appointee (not especially relevant, except to discount a vast "left wing conspiracy").

Here is what is at legal issue:'

Defendant is charged with violating the Stolen Valor Act of 2005, which amended 18 U.S.C. § 704. As originally enacted, section 704 criminalized the wearing, manufacture, or sale of unauthorized military awards. See 18 U.S.C. § 704(a). Congress, however, felt that this statute was inadequate to protect “the reputation and meaning of military decorations and medals.” Pub. L. No. 109-437 § 2, 102 Stat. 3266, 3266 (2006). The Stolen Valor Act expands the protections of section 704 to make it crime to

... falsely represent[] [oneself], verbally or in writing, to have been awarded any decoration or medal authorized by Congress for the Armed Forces of the United States, any of the service medals or badges awarded to the members of such forces, the ribbon, button, or rosette of any such badge, decoration, or medal, or any colorable imitation of such item ....
    Id. § 3 (codified at 18 U.S.C. § 704(b)). Section 704(d) provides enhanced penalties for violations implicating certain types of military honors, including, of particular relevance in this case, the Purple Heart and the Silver Star. The Amended Information charges defendant with falsely representing himself to have been awarded a Purple Heart on four different occasions in 2006 and 2009, and falsely representing that he had been awarded a Silver Star on one occasion in 2009. By the instant motion, defendant seeks to dismiss these charges, arguing that the Act is facially invalid as a content-based restriction on free speech.
    You can follow through the judge's opinion and decide on its merits or demerits. His basic argument is that Congress cannot make a false statement, standing alone, a crime; and that there are other non-criminal avenues of redress (which Congress found to be inadequate).

Another Stolen Valor Act case is before the Ninth Circuit (from which, anything is possible). Judge Blackburn's opinion applies only to his own district court.

Comments welcome. I think the decision is a lousy one - akin to the 4th Circuit's opinion in the Marine funeral case (also based on bad First Amendment analysis).
    Last edited by jmm99; 07-21-2010 at 01:29 AM.

Council Member

Although I find such cretins odious, I personally don't think their fraud should be singled-out for criminal sanction.
    Supporting "time-limited, scope limited military actions" for 20 years.

Council Member

Default A Ninth Circuit panel holds Stolen Valor Act ..

unconstitutional (2-1 decision), in US v Xavier Alvarez.

The majority raises an interesting discussion point:

The rule the government and dissent urge us to apply in order to uphold the Act would, if adopted, significantly enlarge the scope of existing categorical exceptions to First Amendment protection. All previous circumstances in which lies have been found proscribable involve not just knowing falsity, but additional elements that serve to narrow what speech may be punished. Indeed, if the Act is constitutional under the analysis proffered by Judge Bybee, then there would be no constitutional bar to criminalizing lying about one’s height, weight, age, or financial status on Match.com or Facebook, or falsely representing to one’s mother that one does not smoke, drink alcoholic beverages, is a virgin, or has not exceeded the speed limit while driving on the freeway. The sad fact is, most people lie about some aspects of their lives from time to time. Perhaps, in context, many of these lies are within the government’s legitimate reach. But the government cannot decide that some lies may not be told without a reviewing court’s undertaking a thoughtful analysis of the constitutional concerns raised by such government interference with speech.
    There is (or at least "should be") a distinction between a law regulating speech (a lie of some kind) that is simply "unwise"; and another such law that goes further and becomes "unconstitutional". The question is where to draw the line in this "era of absolutism".

Remember the ancient First Amendment example of a constitutional law that prosecuted a person who falsely yells "fire" in a crowded theater.

The dissent by Judge Bybee (yes, he of co-fame with John Yoo and the memos) sums the situation as follows:

In sum, the better interpretation of the Supreme Court’s cases and those of our court is that false statements of fact - as a general category - fall outside of First Amendment protection except in certain contexts where such protection is necessary “to protect speech that matters.” If a false statement does not fall within one of these exceptions, the general rule applies. And even in the exceptional contexts, a false statement that is neither satirical nor theatrical is unprotected if it is made with knowledge or reckless disregard of falsity.
    I'll cast my lot with the dissent on this issue.

Regards

Mike

I'll cast my lot with the dissent on this issue.

Regards

Mike

Hang the bastage with a blue and white starred ribbon

Council Member

Default Everything isn't a Constitutional Issue

Do we really need to enact laws against every possible grievance? Jane Fonda got away with treason against her country, and that is a hell of lot more important than a few maggots pretending to actually be men. We have a sick church group that torments families at military funerals calling their fallen loved ones homosexuals. That crosses the line much further than some insecure piece of crap pretending to be a war hero.

In my opionion we just go back to outing these pathetic pieces of crap, and why we're at it just give them a good ole fashioned ass kicking. We have always had maggots like this in our society, and we really don't need to overcrowd our prisons anymore than they already are over this this, instead put them in the emergency room with a few lumps and then move on. They're not worth much more effort than that.

Council Member

Default Two end poiints and a large middle

Since my moral and ethical compass (Tom) has chimed in, I'll stick with the dissent. However, the dissent does not say that we "have to have" (or even "should have") criminal laws against every falsehood.

It strikes me as largely a truism that we should not have criminal laws against most of the "strawmen examples" cited by the majority:

...lying about one’s height, weight, age, or financial status on Match.com or Facebook, or falsely representing to one’s mother that one does not smoke, drink alcoholic beverages, is a virgin, or has not exceeded the speed limit while driving on the freeway.
    However, what I (as something of a small "l" libertarian) think we "should have" is not necessarily what a majority in this country believe we "should have" (and what the governments elected by them enact).

I envision the spectrum of "speech regulation" as involving one end zone where a consensus exists that the regulation is totally wise (clearly constitutional), and another end zone where a consensus exists that the regulation is totally unwise (clearly unconstitutional).

In between those consensus end zones, is a very large playing field where the issue is what regulation can be applied even though it is "unwise" (though not, by consensus, "totally unwise"). Remember that there should be a presumption in favor of legislation, unless you wish to have some sort of unlimited judicial review (a concept rejected by the Founders).

What is the First Amendment really about ? For that, look to the majority and its citation of the Alien and Sedition Act:

Hence the historical rejection of the validity of the Alien and Sedition Act, which “made it a crime, punishable by a $5,000 fine and five years in prison, ‘if any person shall write, print, utter or publish . . . any false, scandalous and malicious writing or writings against the government of the United States, or either house of the Congress . . . , or the President . . . with intent to defame . . . or to bring them, or either of them, into contempt or disrepute; or to excite against them, or either or any of them, the hatred of the good people of the United States.’ ” Id. at 273-34 (quoting Sedition Act of 1798, 1 Stat. 596).
    The "Alien" portion of the Act held up fairly well; but the "Sedition" portion ran against the US colonial tradition adverse to the British criminal libel (sedition) laws.

Why ? After all, the Sedition part (applicable to US nationals) required a triple whammy proof: falsehood, scandal and malice - as well as an intent to excite "the hatred of the good people of the United States" as one alternative.

If you go back to the political football that the Sedition clauses generated in the Adams and Jefferson administrations, you will find that folks on both sides were playing hardball, verging on insurrection; and that harm was certainly intended (and sometimes effected).

IMO: The reason the Sedition clauses were disfavored was that the speech prohibited struck to the heart of our political system - but without crossing that line where that speech became a "clear and present danger" as part of an insurrection. As such, mostly unregulated speech in this vital political area provided a safety valve against a transition to actual insurrection.

To the 9th Circuit majority, harm, intent and malice are all critical factors. Presumably to them, the greater the harm, intent and malice, the more that legislation can regulate speech. Yet, that is not the history of our First Amendment going back to Zenger. Certainly, the First Amendment looks to "freedom of the press" (not unlimited); but also looks to political freedom and assembly, religious freedom and also, though not expressed in the amendment, economic freedom. Those are the speech areas in which regulation is most suspect; and those are the areas that "matter" (as Jay Bybee writes).

In the 9th Circuit case, the interference of the Stolen Valor Act with politics, religion and economics is not apparent to me; except in one respect. Alvarez made his false statement in a political context. Some politicians enhance their service records (or invent them) - just as the anti-Adams and anti-Jefferson folks libelled those office holders (and probably lied about their own credentials). So, lying is part of US political advancement - and is best met by counter-facts telling the truth.

So, I can't totally agree with Jay Bybee that:

The principles in New York Times do not extend to false self-promotion. Nor do these principles extend to false self promotion by public officials - that is, to officials who portray themselves in a false but positive light. Public discourse requires that citizens are equally free to praise or to condemn their government and its officials, but I can see no value in false, self-aggrandizing statements by public servants. Indeed, the harm from public officials outright lying to the public on matters of public record should be obvious. If the Stolen Valor Act “chills” false autobiographical claims by public officials such as Alvarez, our public discourse will not be the worse for the loss.
    I also "see no value in false, self-aggrandizing statements by public servants." But, I also cannot see where those statements should be made criminal - especially in our present "era of absolutism" where "I gotcha" is the prevalent mantra.

So, perhaps, we should have a limited, qualified constitutional privilege for lying, venal politicians - and simply rely on outing them as both Entropy and Global Scout have suggested.

Regards

Mike

Council Member

...I can see no value in false, self-aggrandizing statements by public servants. Indeed, the harm from public officials outright lying to the public on matters of public record should be obvious.
    The judge improperly frames the issue. It's not a matter of whether the speech has value. It's a matter of whether there is sufficient harm for the government to justify infringing upon the speech. The government failed miserably in demonstrating such harm.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go to a ceremony honoring me as one of the few remaining living recipients of the CMoH.

Council Member

Default If this were the test ....

from Schmedlap
    It's a matter of whether there is sufficient harm for the government to justify infringing upon the speech.
    incompetent rabble-rousers would skate and only competent rabble-rousers would be prosecuted.

So, Martin Luther King was competent and his speeches were certainly intended to do harm to the segregated institutions upheld by the state governments in the states where he was speaking. Thus, MLK's speech should have been infringed, but Uncle Tom's wasn't because it meant no harm (and couldn't cause any) to those institutions ?

I don't think harm enters the picture until speech becomes part of insurrection. Effective, unpopular political speech deserves more protection than ineffective, political babble that the majority regards as harmless to its established institutions.

--------------------
    Since the "CMoH" does not exist (though the MoH and the CMoHS both exist), you are safe from prosecution. However, beware of wearing the SCoH (especially in some parts of Virginia), unless you fought in the War Against Northern Aggression.

Best

Mike
    Last edited by jmm99; 08-23-2010 at 01:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmedlap View Post
    The judge improperly frames the issue. It's not a matter of whether the speech has value. It's a matter of whether there is sufficient harm for the government to justify infringing upon the speech. The government failed miserably in demonstrating such harm.
    There goes Mr. S. Lap talking like a lawyer again ...

Council Member

The judge correctly identified the law in question as regulating speeched based on content (content based regulation).

As such, the proper legal standard is strict scrutiny:

1. The government must demonstrate a compelling government ineterest in regulating the speech and
    2. assuming the government has demonstrated such a compelling interest, it must show that the regulation is narrowly tailored to meet such an interest.

The government (rather poorly in my opinion) failed to demonstrate a compelling interest, and as such the judge never had to go on to consider the above second element.

It remains to be seen whether other, smarter, more motivated government lawyers can properly identify to higher courts a compelling interest in regulating the type of speech here.

Lecturer William G. Hillar entranced audiences as a globe-trotting, highly trained, retired Green Beret colonel whose attempt to rescue his daughter from kidnappers inspired the hit movie, “Taken.” But it was not really his life, it was all lies.
    http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/0...guilty-040911/
    A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Drops to a ten-rupee jezail

http://i.imgur.com/IPT1uLH.jpg

Council Member

Default Here's the Professional Soldiers thread ...

that took Hillar down (mentioned in the Army Times article), William G. Hillar Special Forces FRAUD (32 pages).

Congrats to the folks at Professional Soldiers who contributed to this result.

Regards

Mike

So... Does this mean it should be legal for me to dress up like a police officer, drive a police looking car and pull over good looking women and offer them the opportunity to give sexual favors in return for not getting a ticket?

It's just "content-laden speech" after all.

Some judges are just stupid. They were lawyers once, after all....

I think there is a fundamental difference between impersonating an officer in order to commit a sex crime and pretending to have been a soldier in order to impress people.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Council Member

Default There is a difference

(I'm leaving out the adjective "fundamental") between a person pretending to have been a soldier in order to impress people and that only, and a person pretending to have been a soldier in order to impress people to obtain money or other lucre from them. Hillar fell into the second category.

Drew made a useful point - even though it was made for another purpose re: 2nd sentence - in this comment:

from 120mm
    Some judges are just stupid. They were lawyers once, after all....
    In truth, most all judges are lawyers and remain so while they are judges. Military judges have a triple whammy; they are judges, lawyers and military officers. Imagine the possibilities for stupidness in that combo - but also the possibilities for smartness.

The point is that everyone (non-lawyers included) carries with them a certain perspective on what the "Law" is. I'm not going to go into a long song and dance about how I would use that in legal strategy and tactics (yippee). But, the "Law" to any individual (if he or she admits it) is not the written law, whether in statute or court decision. It is far more than that.

So, the "Law" may be shaped by the decision-seeker (usually a lawyer) and by the decision-maker (usually a judge or jury). Now, in the Stolen Valor cases (and in the Marine Burial case), I felt that the "Law" (my view) upheld constitutionality and said so in SWC posts. Other folks (lawyers and non-lawyers) felt differently and so did SCOTUS.

In Hillar, the prosecutor shifted gears and, by going the "wire fraud" route, shaped the "Law of the Case". The judge agreed (since the indictment stood); and Hillar pleaded guilty:

As part of his plea, Hillar agreed to pay back $171,000 he made by lecturing universities, soldiers, and federal and local law enforcement agencies while falsely claiming he was a counter-terrorism expert and had earned doctorate from the University of Oregon.
    Bottom Line: The "Law of the Case" is different from the "Law".

Regards

Mike

Mike:

Just to be fussy, the "fundamental" difference is between impersonating a police officer and pretending to have been a soldier.

If I get your point right, you are saying there is a difference between what people perceive as being just and how the statutes are written. You can use the perception of justice to affect how the statute is interpreted or applied. Is that it?
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Council Member

Default Not exactly,

but this is part of it:

from Carl
    f I get your point right, you are saying there is a difference between what people perceive as being just and how the statutes are written. You can use the perception of justice to affect how the statute is interpreted or applied. Is that it?
    It will take more than a sound bite - and I want to avoid technical Bravo Sierra.

I'll play with this a bit and come up with a summary of "trade secrets" on "shaping" the "Law of the Case".

BTW: my construct is right for me. I'm a "technician" and not an "artist", which means that I apply lots of preparation to open up avenues to intuition. In short, I rely on perspiration, not inspiration.

That has nothing to do with destructive speed ("tempo") in the courtroom - I like blowing away "an artist's" arguments. Other folks will have completely different ideas.

Regards

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post
    - and I want to avoid technical Bravo Sierra.

Regards

Mike
    I really love it when you use the phonetic alphabet to explain technical terms!

I must've been an influence at one time or another
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Council Member

Default Indeed, Stan ...

indeed, you have been.

The phonetic alphabet seems to add a bit of class to the public presentation - not much class, mind you - but some.

To say nothing of using such jargon as "blowing away" the other guy's argument.

Regards

Mike
    Last edited by jmm99; 04-20-2011 at 08:46 PM.

I think the arguments were made incorrectly to the court and by congress. The wearing of awards, or claim to awards, ribbons or other significant meritorious or valor certifications are not a free speech issue. They are a certification issue that may result in monetary or significant compensation including assuaging license fees for vehicles (Pearl Harbor Survivor plates, MIA Plates, Disabled Veteran), increased consideration for employment (veterans preference, Purple Heart awardee). As such to even merely make claim could be considered a fraudulent act. Further the simple claimant in doing so even outside of state sponsored programs could be in conspiracy to defraud through claim to licensure or certification of experience they do not have.

No. Not an attorney but was quizzed daily by a judge.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.