Thread: Follow Me Tactical Decision Game

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Follow Me Tactical Decision Game

Hey Guys,
    Just wanted to post a little blurb about a game we are using at West Point to teach tactical decision making and problem solving. It's called Follow Me and is designed to put our cadets in the role of a platoon leader. At the moment our focus is on light infantry ops but the game is designed to cover mounted ops as well.

Here's a link to the wiki:
    Follow Me Wiki

Our main goal was to make earning tactics a lot more interactive. FM gives the cadet's a chance to practice what they've been taught. Keep in mind the game is simply a tool, we do not advocate replacing field training with simulated exercises.

I've run a little over 5000 kids through different types of exercises using FM. I've also visited Fordham and Santa Clara Universities running small exercises for their ROTC programs. Feedback from the cadets is always positive.
    TJ
    War Fighting Simulation Center
    United States Military Academy
    Follow Me Wiki
    West Point NY

We do one here for Air Force ROTC, and the feedback is always very positive.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair View Post
    We do one here for Air Force ROTC, and the feedback is always very positive.
    Steve,
    What program do you guys use?
    TJ
    Follow Me Wiki
    West Point NY

It's a local product, map-based and not computerized. As you might expect, it deals more with airpower theory at the higher tactical/operational level and puts cadets against each other in four teams (two sets of allies, so they have to practice a sort of coalition warfare).
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair View Post
    It's a local product, map-based and not computerized. As you might expect, it deals more with airpower theory at the higher tactical/operational level and puts cadets against each other in four teams (two sets of allies, so they have to practice a sort of coalition warfare).
    Is this being done at USAFA or Maxwell AFB?

You should talk to Mo Morgan, I believe he's at Maxwell. They are using a commercial program that's been modified. I believe the focus is on planning an air campaign.
    TJ
    Follow Me Wiki
    West Point NY

It's ROTC, and it's a local product. I've seen the computerized air campaigning planning stuff, and it doesn't really suit our needs. We have to run it in a fairly limited window (although we're working on a joint possibility that would involve the Army and run most of a semester), and it's geared more toward immediate planning and execution (one turn equals one day) with less of a focus on logistical placement. We've also tailored the air forces so that each team has to work within certain limitations created by both equipment and political considerations.

An earlier version of the exercise was offered up through the AFROTC chain a couple of years back, and no one else seemed to be interested. So we keep plugging away in our little corner of the world.