http://news.yahoo.com/kansas-couple-...182449463.html

Two former CIA employees whose Kansas home was fruitlessly searched for marijuana during a two-state drug sweep claim they were illegally targeted, possibly because they had bought indoor growing supplies to raise vegetables.
"If this can happen to us and we are educated and have reasonable resources, how does somebody who maybe hasn't led a perfect life supposed to be free in this country?" Adlynn Harte said in an interview Friday.
When law enforcement arrived, the family had just six plants — three tomato plants, one melon plant and two butternut squash plants — growing in the basement, Harte said.

The suit also said deputies "made rude comments" and implied their son was using marijuana. A drug-sniffing dog was brought in to help, but deputies ultimately left after providing a receipt stating, "No items taken."
The war on marijuana drugs within our borders is largely stupid waste of resources, especially when it is directed aganist Ma and Pa shops growing their own marijuana (not organized crime promoting violence). However, when the police raid a family home based on unfounded suspicions of growing marijuana it is border line criminal. If raids like this are permited it is a much greater threat to our freedoms than someone growing marijuana in their house, much less growing tomatoes. If the cops had them under surveillance for months and knew a family lived there, why did they did need to conduct a SWAT like raid on the house instead of knocking on the door and serving a warrant? Our police in many respects have gotten out of control with these tactics. These tactics were designed for and are appropriate for hard targets, but not for to responding to suspected minor violations of the law.

If my family was terrorified by the police in this way without cause I would be seeking justice also. A law suit is one method of doing so, but heads would have to roll in this case to get satisfaction. The detective who submitted the warrant for approval to the judge who approved it need to be fired.

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...od-Kansas.html

After reviewing the crime rate in Leawood I'm beginning to think the poor SWAT team is bored and looking for an excuse to kick in a door.