Quote Originally Posted by tequila View Post
NDD, thanks for the clarifications and info.

Is this strictly true, given what we now know about Noguera's ties to the paramilitaries, and also recent information publicized about Operation Orion which implicates top Colombian Army officers?

On topic: ICG report on Colombia's New Armed Groups. This report is much more favorable towards the progress of "demobilization" than my posts have been and has a lot of good info about how the paramilitaries have evolved.

edit: Also, I have been to Bogota twice as a guest of a friend from my old job at Goldman Sachs. I actually was carjacked once two blocks from a police station, which certainly gave me some flashbacks to the good old days in Brooklyn, but Colombian women more than made up for that - they are truly awesome to behold! (though my friend says this situation only exists in Bogota). His family is relatively well off and his grandfather was briefly kidnapped once; they are 100% pro-Uribe through and through.
Yes it is true. Noguera is a man, not the institution. The DAS is not part of the Colombian military and Noguera has not been convicted of anything that I know of.

You need to tone down the rhetoric a bit.