Quote Originally Posted by TAH View Post
Gute:

I guess your concept of Combat Support & Combat Service Support Bdes made up of modular CS/CSS Battalions organized into CS/CSS Groups is "A way". Just not "The Way" the Army has decided to go.

Don't know about the CS folks, but on the CSS side what is supposed to happen is all of the Sustainment Brigades in a theater are supposed to be assigned/attached to either a Theater Sustainment Command (TSC), a two-star command or Expedionary Sustainment Command (ESC), a one-star command. Normally one or the other would get forward deployed to support a given theater of operations. In a larger or complex theater, you might find both.

Doctrinally, the Sustainment Brigdes are supposed to provide support to units on an "Area Basis". I know this as I have been both the G3 and Deputy Commander of an ESC.

Not the way it's working in theater today BTW. The Modular Divisions normally get Tactical or Operational Control (TACON/OPCON) of a Sustainment Brigade and the TSC/ESCs run Log Bases.

As a non-CSS type, it still seems to be a "work in progress" to me.

My thoughts are that each Modular Division should get a Sustainment Brigade either, organic, assigned or attached. A division will never go anywhere and not require sustainment. So, while the number and types of BCTs/Bdes will vary from mission to mission, the need to keep them operating will be constant. The task organization of this Sustainment Brigade can/should be tailored for each operational mission/deployment. The number and types of functional companies and number and types of battalions (multi-function or single function) can/should change based off the troop lists and anticipated mission profile.
The following link has greatly influenced my ideas on modularity and would be quite interested in what you think - off line is fine since this has been been brought up before in other posts. Thank you.

http://usacac.army.mil/CAC/milreview...g05/melton.pdf