Thread: Info & Intelligence in PSO

Default Info & Intelligence in PSO

Hi, I'm trying to find any published books/articles covering the above. In addition, specific Qs are:

- What does the UN say about I2 in its operations? Is there a webpage which explicitly covers this area?
    - Anything in the UN charter of direct relevance?
    - National doctrines/open source publications on the subject?
    - Any thoughts on case studies (esp UN PK ops) which went well/badly due to good/bad I2?

Thanks in advance

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by 3RTR View Post
    Hi, I'm trying to find any published books/articles covering the above. In addition, specific Qs are:

- What does the UN say about I2 in its operations? Is there a webpage which explicitly covers this area?
    - Anything in the UN charter of direct relevance?
    - National doctrines/open source publications on the subject?
    - Any thoughts on case studies (esp UN PK ops) which went well/badly due to good/bad I2?

Thanks in advance
    http://www.un.org/peace/reports/peace_operations/

That should be your first link.

Walter Dorn's stuff is also good.

http://www.walterdorn.org/pub/40

Council Member

Remember too that national contingents may be provided with intelligence support by their own national intelligence communities. In some cases this is marginal... in other cases, it is rather more extensive. It wouldn't necessarily all be shared with other contingents, or the UN force commander.

As UN PKOs see proportionately fewer developed countries contributing troops, the degree of national intelligence support to contingents declines. (It also depends on where the operation is, and hence the degree of SIGINT, HUMINT, and IMINT that is being collected in the first place.)
    They mostly come at night. Mostly.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Brynen View Post
    Remember too that national contingents may be provided with intelligence support by their own national intelligence communities. In some cases this is marginal... in other cases, it is rather more extensive. It wouldn't necessarily all be shared with other contingents, or the UN force commander.

As UN PKOs see proportionately fewer developed countries contributing troops, the degree of national intelligence support to contingents declines. (It also depends on where the operation is, and hence the degree of SIGINT, HUMINT, and IMINT that is being collected in the first place.)
    Also consider that Intel from the developed countries especially Security Council members is used to manipulate the UN as much as to inform it. Dorn has some good info on this in The Congo. Cees Weibes book "Intelligence and the War in Bosnia 1992-1995" is good on this also.

http://www.spiked-online.com/articles/0000000CA374.htm

Default Old memories may help

There is a mass of material on this subject, rarely written by British authors, the issue regularly crops up as UN reviews indicate. I delved into this subject a few years ago and subscribed to a then Frank Cass journal 'International Peacekeeping', locating back numbers should assist. The other journal which IIRC has articles on this is 'Intelligence & National Security'. Hopefully Kings library will have access to both!

A little hazy now IIRC the Australians after Cambodia, maybe Somalia wrote about it in their professional journals and do not overlook the AFP.

Just don't use intelligence as a search term when using Google.
    davidbfpo

In practice, the value of UN intelligence vary a lot. This mainly because the military personal working as G2 is not always trained as intelligence or because they follow orders from their national command. Or they do not speak the local language. Actually, where I am working, one of the G2 cell member is a nurse who does not speak local language...
    That gives you an idea of the quality of info collected and analysed.

Also, it depends on the mandate. As exemple, the DRC mission (MONUC) had a mandate to provide tacticle information support.
    I believe that DRC could be an interresting case study.

Also, try that link:
    http://www.peaceopstraining.org/theses/champagne.pdf
    Last edited by M-A Lagrange; 08-01-2010 at 05:51 PM.

Default Thanks guys

Very helpful, TY