Thread: Increasing urbanization in the second/third worlds and it's effects on conflict

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin23 View Post
    Given that you live in a second/third world country, I would have to take your word for it.
    I wouldn't suggest making that a habit, but since my opinion is involved in this case I'll say it's a good move .

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin23 View Post
    Also since you put the this in the context of rural development, then a focus on urban development as many 2nd/3rd world and even some 1st world countries are doing now would only fuel the current issues faced.
    This is nothing new... Governments tend to be more concerned with instability in urban populations. A rebellion in the countryside is seen as a long term problem that you may be able to squash without anyone noticing, while an urban insurrection can throw you out tomorrow. Governments in many of these countries are not, alas, always concerned with long-term planning and addressing root causes.

Sometimes measures taken to pacify an urban population can exacerbate problems in the countryside... more than one short-sighted ruler has put price controls on food to please the urban consumer, not anticipating (or not caring about) the impact on rural producers.

The problem of urbanization begins with planning. If large urban city planners and their leadership fail to plan for the population boom, it can lead to over burdened resources for the government. This burden leaves the inhabitants without adequate housing, employment, and access to health care. The struggle with urban crime also becomes paramount for the local authorities to manage. All of these factors can certainly fuel conflict that could lead to spillover effects of civil war or even perhaps revolutionary movements.

Council Member

Redlegs:

I'd focus a little more broadly.

On a very general basis, stay focused on Dayuhan's comments from the perspective of a rural inhabitant, who can, like Europe, prosper as a niche farmer in an urban truck garden shadow---about 50 miles depending on transport links.

That aside, rural inhabitants face starvation and death from weather, crop failures, market or market/political forces.

Two hypothetical responses to challenge: Huddle up into tight protective bands, or move to the city.

Best planning (if practical) may be to support small regional satellite towns that can help make far rural life more tenable. This in lieu of trying to fix the mega city.

Folks were intrigued by all the farms in Baghdad city. Look at the depopulating towns (Detroit), etc., as on the same path (boom bust) that drove some of this.... want to farm in Detroit? Plenty of small parcels unused.

At the 50,000 foot level, I am interested in the population settlement expansions across Pashtun historical territories, together with other pressures (radio, tv, etc...) on the old ways and links. How is that big mega-trend related to the conflicts we stumble around about down below?