Quote Originally Posted by Global Scout View Post
Of course trends are always easier to see in hindsight, but in general I think we have ample hindsight to see what the future holds in store for us. Large cities in undeveloped or developed nations present a security and economic problems that is beyond the means of the State to control, so we see the rise of large urban gangs (that can go transnational when their members migrate looking for better opportunities), and the rise of gray and black economies that will become the norm in short order. Any attempt by the State to destroy these new security arrangements (gangs) and economic structures will be meant with great resistance, which in a way could resemble a civil war or insurgency, but I think we'll need new terms to describe this form of conflict (it isn't new, but the scale will be much large than we seen in the past). Already visible in Mexico, San Palo, etc.
Very true on the points you making, in which I especially agree with the last characterization you made.

However, even though cities both in the developed and developing world pose security challenges of all types, I think that as I pointed out previously that the rapid development of mega-cities and urbanization in the second and third worlds i going to pose even greater security and overall geopolitical issues.