Thread: Afghan Patriots - Living with the Taliban (Video)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    Why would the Taliban allow a journalist to embed? They must be learning from the coalition how to manipulate the media. What we saw was not combat it was a game (maybe deliberately he was kept away from the real action). I have read articles on my little war written by so-called unbiased journalists and will say that the terms independent and unbiased are not words that should be used to describe journalists (any journalists) and as such journalists should be considered biased until THEY prove otherwise.

Show me one of your independent German journalists and I'll show you a liar. (I'm being serious on this challenge)
    The Taliban would (if at all) allow embeds for the same reason as Western forces allow embeds (if at all) - pursuing their advantage. It's about symmetry.

I don't really care about journalist names - instead I judge every text anew, we have very few really famous journalists anyway.
    Every human lies sometimes, so I don't really care about occasional lies and I have no real hope that all reporting can ever become accurate.
    I do see a huge difference between journalist ethics in Germany and the U.S., though. Most readers here are from the U.S. and used to the "balanced" approach of journalism. I mentioned the "neutral" approach (attempted but not really mastered by CNN, too) as the other conceptually relevant one.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
    The Taliban would (if at all) allow embeds for the same reason as Western forces allow embeds (if at all) - pursuing their advantage. It's about symmetry.

I don't really care about journalist names - instead I judge every text anew, we have very few really famous journalists anyway.
    Every human lies sometimes, so I don't really care about occasional lies and I have no real hope that all reporting can ever become accurate.
    I do see a huge difference between journalist ethics in Germany and the U.S., though. Most readers here are from the U.S. and used to the "balanced" approach of journalism. I mentioned the "neutral" approach (attempted but not really mastered by CNN, too) as the other conceptually relevant one.
    Is there really an American that does not know that the reporting on Iraq and now Afghanistan is controlled to a remarkable extent by the military/US government.

I watch Aljazeera to compare the news and get other insight into Iraq and Afghanistan (and elsewhere). Does that help yes. After all I want to know the truth.

A neutral media? That is a fiction so lets not spend time talking about it.