Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
What I have questioned is your tone on the topic and your frequent assertions of your opinions as incontroverible facts. Both those things are mildly bothersome and IMO, do not do you or your message any favors.
Can't help you with that Ken.

The point was that the right weapon or caliber enhances the possibility of effective fire at extended ranges. Surprised you missed that simple and basic fact.
Didn't miss it. I was talking about effective fire. Pretty obvious different weapons have different effective ranges, yes?

I hear the same thing -- unlike you, I know it's due to the vast extent of open terrain -- there are few options. It's not a matter of choice, it's a matter of getting where you need to be and few alternatives.
The question is where do the troops need to be. And if they really need to be there how is the best way to get there (considering the IED threat and all).

Incorrect; cannot be adequately responded to with the 5.56mm round we're saddled with; the 7.62mm weapons in the unit can and do respond; thus the Talibs are smart enough to stay where many weapons in the Platoon cannot tap them -- but not all. They also have range limitation in that most are armed with AKs.
So how many 7.62mm weapons are their in a platoon on averge? So what do the 5.56mm boys do while the 7.62mm boys are duking it out? Take a smoke break, brew up?

Yep, confusing isn't it. Conflicting figures abound. What's an armchair warrior to do...
Confusing? No. Interesting (and sad) to see how slow the forces are adapting.

Of course they are, wouldn't you? Though I suggest your Keystone Cops comment is specious, made from a position of incomplete information and thus amounts to speculation and is unduly pejorative to no good purpose.
Ken the sad fact is that the war is being lost. The Soviets killed them (mujahideen, civilians, whatever) by the million and still left with their tail between their legs. Is the prognosis for ISAF any better?

As too the Keystone Cops. That happens when soldiers come under fire when out in the open. See how they run... looking for non existent cover. Shopuldn't have been there in the first place.

Yet another US Air Cavalry tactic from Viet Nam you folks successfully later employed. Good for you.
Nothing new under the sun Ken, wonder where the US Air Cavalry learned that.

For the rest you seem to have had a memory lapse. I would take no pride in turning the knife.