Quote Originally Posted by Tracker275 View Post
This is something that I have been watching for a long time since we changed to the ACU, Velcro, MOLLE, body armor (IBA, IOTV, etc.) and other equipment.

Yes, it all works fine in Iraq and Afghanistan, but there is absolutely no way on earth that you can take the soldier equipped for Iraq or Afghanistan and place them in a jungle and expect them to be able to perform the same mission. In the heat and humidity of the jungle and other temperate environments, the foam padded helmet that does not breath creates a heat trap, and absorbs moisture that will not ever dry…the body armor expected to be worn will fry a soldier due to their body core temperature going through the roof…the lack of knowledge of field craft while on a patrol when they expect to be back at the FOB that night…etc…….These are all examples and failures of our military to understand we cannot become “Pigeon-Holed” into one form of combat, but have to realize we must be able to fight in any environment.
Honestly, based on how we equip our soldiers for Iraq/Afghanistan, if we had to send them to a tropical environment with exactly what they have there….Can anyone honestly say that a Stryker, or that soldier with the IOTV, and tons of gear will be able to survive there?

….I say not
Did you walk 40 miles to school each day with no shoes as well? Thanks for reminding me about how inferior my generation is. As I was humping around in the 40 degree celcius heat in a grapefield I should have said "Well, it could be worse, I could be soldiering in the '80s when men were men!"

Funny thing is, the generation before yours probably said the same thing about you guys.

I don't doubt that your relevant points have merit, but they get lost in your polemic about "the good ole days". For some reason, people tend to remember the "good" of the past while only focusing on the "not-so-bad" of the present.