Thread: Where Are Our Priorities Focused…Lack of Knowledge of Basic Enemy Capabilites

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker275 View Post
    IYes, it is extremely frustrating, as I had a student today think that a couple Taliban fighters could take a ZPU-2 to the top of a mountain...well, until I told them that it is a towed anti-aircraft weapon. After they looked it up and saw the picture, their analysis of the stituation in the scenario totally changed.
    Well, you can lug a ZPU-1 half way up a mountain (7:56 onwards). Does that get you half marks?
    They mostly come at night. Mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Brynen View Post
    Well, you can lug a ZPU-1 half way up a mountain (7:56 onwards). Does that get you half marks?
    Hahaha....Ok, Ok...sure, they get half marks in my book...

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Brynen View Post
    The Chinese QJC02 15.5 x 114mm single barrel anti-aircraft machine gun is designed be easily broken up for mountain and plateau (Tibetan and Xinjiang) operations. It could certainly cause issues if it turned up in Afghanistan it would mean recent Chinese assistance and possible long range harrassing fire.
    Last edited by GI Zhou; 08-29-2010 at 12:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GI Zhou View Post
    The Chinese QJC02 15.5 x 114mm single barrel anti-aircraft machine gun is designed be easily broken up for mountain and plateau (Tibetan and Xinjiang) operations. It could certainly cause issues if it turned up in Afghanistan it would mean recent Chinese assistance and possible long range harrassing fire.
    That is the kind of stuff I'm talking about. You described a weapon system, which is most definitely a threat to CF aircraft. You also explained in a bottom line up front ("BLUF") way how it could create problems if supported by certain individuals.

Unfortunately, tid-bits of information like this that offer a commander with extensive knowledge in how to employ his troops in a manuever aspect without creating casualties that are unnessesary...are not currently conveyed by intelligence professionals when the weapon system is literaly thrown in front of their face.

Frankly, that weapon system you described is a most definitely a perfect fit for Taliban fighters for sure. I can only hope they do not employ it.

Council Member

This is awesome! It just makes the point that higher is to focused internally (matrices, numbers, programs, etc.) and not focused outboard (results) on the enemy. You can see this across the USMC that we have lost the ability to care more about the fact that a commander has achieved a decision and reached the commanders intent, however it happens, vice caring that he did all of his PTP training to even get to where he is today.

As commanders we lose the So what part of the problem when all that is provided is numbers and graphs. We see the same thing as students do METT-TC of the enemy. They can list the heck out of everything that the enemy has, BUT as far as being able to explain its capabilities and what it is able to do they have no clue. As for that I blame myself as an instructor. But overall we can do a better job.

I know nothing about the school that you work for so I apologize upfront for speaking outside of my box but there has to be some creative way that you can engage the students and at the minimum introduce the topic to them and discuss it.