Thread: "The Tactical Notebook"

Default "The Tactical Notebook"

I've seen reference to "The Tactical Notebook" in references in a Bruce Gudmundsson book I've just read. It appears that it was a journal or magazine of, principally, primary sources on tactics. I was intrigued by the title as it was referenced on some of the more interesting points that the author had.

An online search has only revealed an ability to purchase backcopies in print dated to 1995. Does anyone know what exactly this was and if this exists in any format?

Council Member

I've never heard of it but would like to find it and see what it is.

Default You may or may not have found this

Check the LINK. The Institute for Tactical Education was, IIRC, a semi official Marine lashup. Don't think it's around anymore...

Council Member

Infanteer,

Look up the book "Mastering Tactics" by John Schmitt, Maj, USMCR. You can probably buy it off the Marine Corps association website.

John Schmitt is more or less the "creator" of TDGs in the Marine Corps, or so he says. Nice guy nonetheless.

Pete

Default I have some of them

I actually stumbled across a stack of these Tactical Notebook things in an old box of stuff, with a bunch of my wargames. I have no idea what they contain, actually, and would be more or less willing to part with them, if anyone's interested and willing to make me a decent offer. The stack of stuff is maybe an inch and a half or two inches thick, and the pages aren't all in really good shape. Everything looks legible, though I didn't really try and read much of it. What I saw had articles comparing German infantry divisions in 1928 and things like that, very esoteric and obscure. Some of them are in 9x12 paper envelopes, and some aren't...I'll box it up for you neatly, if you're interested. The dates I saw were 1993.

David,

I just stumbled across your reply about having a stack of Tactical Notebook pages. The dryer and esoteric the better.

Still for sale?

Thanks, Bill Scanlan