Thread: Purpose of the MBT?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The role of artillery was altered between both world wars, as was the role of most tanks.

Artillery assumed a role in support of mobile warfare in WW2, including quick reaction defensive and offensive fires - its job was much more about pre-planned fires in WW1, which restricted it to a much smaller role in that war.

Likewise, tanks had very different roles in WW2 than in WW1. They were breakthrough tanks with marginal exploitation capability (about the depth of a division sector) in WW1 , but became the spearhead of exploitation efforts in WW2 - the German army even preferred to achieve breakthrough without much if any tank involvement. The Japanese tank actions in Malaya had no resemblance of Cambrai either. The role, purpose and technical abilities were entirely different.
    It's simply not appropriate to throw them into a bag and downplay the differences (AS YOU DID). An Frankish knight at Poitiers had certain similarities with a heavy Mongol horseman, but it's inappropriate to throw them into one basket labelled "horse cavalry" unless you want to dumb history down for a 6th grader.
    It's the same with tanks. They're all the same if you go very abstract or dumb down very much, but that serves no real purpose. It's much more useful to look at the differences, for that's where the lessons are hidden.

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
    Artillery assumed a role in support of mobile warfare in WW2, including quick reaction defensive and offensive fires - its job was much more about pre-planned fires in WW1, which restricted it to a much smaller role in that war.
    Really? I see no evidence that any of that is the case, and nor do any artillery historians. How does an 18 pounder Field Gun of 1918 get employed so differently than a 25 pounder of 1944? Because one was horse drawn the other vehicle drawn?
    Why is a Sopwith Camel, so different to a Spitfire?

As I say, I am not going to debate my Thesis here and this has been a very good example of why it was dumb to even try. Salutary lesson on the pitfalls of straying away from the model-makers version of history.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Oo, you really don't know the answers to your questions?